[Reader-list] 'Not a single muslim forced us to leave' Prof Tikko

Wali Arifi waliarifi3 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 18:13:02 IST 2009

Since we have been reading only one version of Kashmiri Pandit story in the
larger narrative of the Kashmir dispute, here is a glimpse into another
version.

http://www.kashmirwatch.com/showexclusives.php?subaction=showfull&id=1234974634&archive=&start_from=&ucat=15&var1news=value1news

   'Not a single muslim forced us to leave' Prof Tikko

*
Two decades of Exile*

Manohar Nath Tickoo

Professor  Manohar Nath Tikko, 74, was a college teacher and head of the
department of Education at the Governmnt College Islamabad. He lived in
Haire Mohalla, Janglat Mandi in Anantnag before he left Kashmir at the peak
of insurgency in 1990. For the last two decades, he is living at the
scorching locale of Bohdi in Jammu .

 Q1) What prompted your migration?

 I left with my family on Friday, 31st May 1990 with the first light in the
dawn and reached Jammu same day in the early afternoon.  I still remember
that fateful day when I was forced by none other than my own wife and
daughters to leave.  All my Muslim neighbours came to my home biding my
family a fond farewell with tearful eyes. Me and my neighbours never wanted
my family to leave Kashmir but there was definitely a massive psychological
fear created by unknown agencies against the Kashmiri Pandits which forced
us to leave.  Although the fact remains that not  a single Muslim  forced us
to leave.

Q2)   Do you nurture any dreams of coming back?

A:- Well, I do believe that Pundits will get back to their home land but I
can't predict a time for it. However, I don't not believe the Central
[Indian] or [local] State government claims that the Pandits will be
rehabilitated in their original homes. This is a blatant lie, as there
hasn't been any strategy for our rehabilitation since we have left the
Valley. The past governments did  built some residential houses  at places
like Tulmul, Budgam and Mattan, but I believe this was for electoral
politics.

Q3) There are many examples of Pandits returning back. Could you perhaps
follow the suit?

A:- No I am sorry. I don't hesitate to tell u a stark fact that I would feel
emotionally insulted if I return back to my home this time because we left
our mother land without any force from our fellow people. I believe that
Kashmiri Pundits should have remained in the Valley and they must have
fought the freedom struggle with their fellow Muslim citizens. Even we
should have sacrificed in the similar fashion our Muslim brothers did for
the Kashmir cause, but unfortunately we did not do that. Even I wouldn't
mind if hundred thousand Kashmir Pundits would have been martyred  for
freedom struggle because Kashmir cause has no less a meaning for Kashmiri
Pundits. It is bizarre when we "Kashmir Pundits" vociferously beat the
drums, searching for "Panun Kashmir", ironically outside the Kashmir ,
therefore it has literally  lost its spirit and meaning..

Q4)  How do you view the Kashmir problem?

A:- Kashmir is a very old issue which has mutated into a monster now. But it
can be solved by sincere and honest leadership in India , Pakistan and
Kashmir . Gimmicks like holding  elections cannot be used to fade the
reality of Kashmir being an unresolved issue. Holding election in the
presence of half a million troops shows the level of legitimacy and the
feigned democratic nature in Kashmir .
My personal opinion is that Kashmir  issue is the issue of those who speak
Kashmiri language. It should not be hyphenated or related to the other parts
like Jammu and Ladakh; they   have never been a relative part of Kashmir and
had never any cultural, ethnic or communication links  with Kashmir .
Kashmir has its own history and it should be recognized as an independent
state.  It had never been a part of India or British India .

Q5)  Would the Kashmiri Pandits accept independent Kashmir ?

A:- well, not necessarily.  I am expressing my opinion without any bias and
duality. The opinions are never same even on a common issue.  Let me tell
you that majority of Pandits did not support Sheikh Abdullah but  the Ahrar
Party of Moulvi Yousuf Shah.  Well know Pandit activists Prem Nath  Bazaz
and Prem Nath Yash  were  in favour of Kashmir's accession with Pakistan . I
still remember that time when people were asked to opt between India and
Pakistan . My late father Sarvanand Tikko who was the Post Master at
Anantnag at that time and we used to live inside the Post Office, signed on
the document favouring accession with Pakistan and his four collogues
including Ghulam Muhammad Shah of Bijbehra and Jagan Nath Rayess. My late
father unfurled the Pakistani flag on the top of the Post Office but the
goons of National Conference which include Abdul Ahad Tak of Anantnag town
made an assault on my father and his colleagues, beat them to pulp and put
down the Pakistani flag. They also tried to set the Post Office on fire.

Q6) Many Kashmiris often refer to Sheikh Abdullah as 'Gaddar' or traiter.
How do you view him?
9
A:- well, It is easy to be wise after the event. Sheikh Abdullah should have
not done the "Ilhaq" or accession with India . He did a very serious blunder
for the reason that kashmiri people are suffering a lot. Sadly Sheikh
Abdullah had no political vision.  Prem Nath Bazaz observed that Sheikh
Abdullah had no sense of history and he had never read any history on
Kashmir .  So one can understand the level of political maturity and
sincerity of Sheikh Abdullah.

Q7) The Pandit argument is that Kashmir has always been part of India  ?

Kashmir has never been part of India and has no cultural, traditional,
ethical and  religious semblance with India .  Even we Kashmiri Pundits have
totally different religious ceremonial and ritual days than of the Indian
Hindus and we practice a different mythology. We have no religious
attachment with river Ganga ; we used to put the ashes of the dead into the
"Naraan Nag Gangbal" near Sonamarg  . We never celebrate Diwali but
"Hearath". We celebrate a religious day which is called "Sheshar Shenkraat"
which is celebrated in the winters in order to avoid demonic influence in
winters and there is no example of celebrating such a day in the Indian
Hindu mythology.  Moreover, Kashmiri Pundits celebrate "Shiv Raatri"
differently than Indian Hindus; we prepare a lot of non vegetarian food to
break the fast, contrary to Hindus who abstain from meat on the day.
Similarly Kashmiri Muslims have a different culture with no relevance with
that of Indian culture.  Politically, the UN resolutions stand witness to
the Kashmir dispute  and  promises  the right to self determination. Had
Kashmir not been a disputed state then why Kashmir has its own constitution
and flag. And why Pundit Jawahar Lal Nehru took the Kashmir issue to the
United Nations. It was only because of Indian political prejudice and
insincerity that autonomy of Kashmir was eroded.

Q 8)   How would you see the contours of its resolution?

A:-  Well, Kashmir is a much political issue than a religious one. Kashmir
has suffered because of a historical political mistake so the key to its
resolution is strong political struggle which is possible only when we have
strong political institutions with sincere leaders having unanimity on the
common Kashmir cause.
So far we have failed on diplomatic and international level only because of
the poor and corrupt leadership. It is imperative to coordinate the
political groups and bring them under one banner and one single leader. I
would suggest Sayed  Sayed Ali Shah Geelani who has shown strength and
resilience while others change their cloaks often.  But there has to be
inclusion of Pandits in the political leadership.

Q10) How would you place Article 370 in this jigsaw puzzle?

A:-  The Article 370 has no future unless it does not get a permanent place
in the Indian Constitution.  Since the Article 370 is a temporary Article,
it  can be abrogated any time by the parliament of India and BJP has
included the abrogation of Article 370 in its election manifesto. I think we
Kashmiris should have fought vigorously for the permanence of the Article
370. Since the Article 370 is followed with the word "Temporary" has no
meaning unless it does not get divorce from it.  Moreover, the Indian
leadership has always failed to give the due share to the Kashmiris in their
democratic doctrines as established in 1950.

Q12) How do you see the future of Kashmir ?

A:-  We must pin hope against hope on the fourth generation after 1947 who
can give respite to Kashmiris if they succeed to apply their brains
properly.