[Reader-list] "Stand up to the mullahs" - Vir Sanghvi

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Thu Feb 26 14:43:46 IST 2009

Dear Kshmendra,

I am  surprised at your insinuation that there is a selectivity on
the part of what you call 'Sarai liberals and secularists' to respond
to matters that have to do with one confession of faith as opposed to
another.

First of all, who is a 'Sarai liberal or secularist'? Can you
identify one, because I can't. Sarai is not a party with an official
position. It does not have cadre who stick to one position, or even a
cluster of positions.

As individuals we all (everyone on the list, including you) may have
different postions on different matters, but none of these are
'Sarai' positions.

I do not make it my business to respond to each and every posting
that appears on the Sarai Reader List. I am sure you do not either.
If we were all constantly responding to every posting that occurred
on the list then we would have very little time to do anything else.
If I have once made a position clear, I do not see it necessary to
repeat myself ad nauseam. I have made my position against Muslim
fundamentalism, hindu fundamentalism, torture, the death penalty and
forms of military occupation (whererever they may occur) abundantly
clear on more than one occasion on this list, I do not therefore find
it necessary to respond repetitively on the same set of issues.

I would probably count as one of those who is often pilloried on this
list as a 'liberal secularist' (though both presume a commitment to
the project of the state, in its specifically liberal or secularist
avatars, which I do not share, simply because I am not committed to
any state form).

That being said, I might remind you that there have been several
instances where I (and others) have been sharply critical of the
positions and politics of Islamic fundamentalists, exactly as we have
been sharply critical of anyone or any tendency (be they of the
right, left or centre) which has an authoritarian and repressive agenda.

I personally recall having made postings and responses on the banning
of Taslima Nasrin that were extremely critical of the Islamic
Fundamentalist position on her freedom of speech and exprssion. I
have said before and say so again, I support the right of any
individual to express any statement through word, speech or image
that is or can be read or understood as being offensive to Islam or
somebody's interpretation of Islamic precepts and doctrines,
precisely because I support the same right when it pertains to any
religion, ideology or position, be it Hinduism, Christianity,
Judaism, Buddhism or any other doctrine. I support the right of
people to make and publish what might be considered (by themselves,
or by others) offensive cartoons or ther representations of any
religious figure (without exception).

This has nothing to do with my personal taste or agreement with what
is made or deemed offensive. I especially support the right of the
freedom of speech and expression of those I disagree with (provided
it is not defamation or libel), because it is actually meaningless to
only root for the freedom of those who agree with your own views. I
support the right to be heretical, blasphemous, and subversive in any
context with reference to anything that is held sacred or sacrosant
by anybody, including myself.

So please refrain from making these blanket generalizations, a) about
'Sarai liberals or secularists'  (an irrelevant category) or b) about
what people might or might not have said in the past, without an
adequate sense of what the archives of the list actually hold as a
record of opinions and expressions by list members,

My understanding of religious doctrines and practices does however
demonstrate to me that no religion or ideology can claim (or have
claimed on its behalf) a monopoly on repressiveness or on liberty.
Every faith has been intolerant, and at the same time the adherents
of every faith have been open and understanding and tolerant. No
particular faith has been more intolerant or repressive in its
history than any other. While I remain committed to being sharply
critical of intolerance within Islam, I am equally critical of any
effort to represent Islam and Islamicate cultures as being 'more'
repressive and authoritarian than others, this tendency betrays a
shallow understanding of the well established traditions of tolerance
and liberality within Islamicate cultures (which compete with
authoritarianism and repression within Islam/Islamicate culture), and
the the authoritarian tendencies in other traditions, which are
usually neglected by those who seek to exclusively focus on the
career of repression within Islam and Islamicate cultures.

I do not think this blame game is productive.

regards

Shuddha

regards

Shuddha