[Reader-list] Account of woman attacked in Bangalore-2

Lawrence Liang lawrence at altlawforum.org
Sat Feb 28 02:25:03 IST 2009

Time, date of Attack: 9:00 p.m, 24th Feb

My name is Lakshmi. I was attacked on 24th Feb at around 9:00 pm. I was
walking down Vasanthnagar after I’d wrapped up work looking for an auto. At
the underbridge I noticed four men walking down the road towards me. I
crossed over to the other side, just in case. I continued to walk down
towards Kodava Samaj. Suddenly I realised that the four men had crossed the
road as well. Once they were close enough they started pushing me and
passing comments. I tried to ignore them, stepped around them and continued
walking. They turned around and walked back towards me and started pushing
me around. I finally lost my temper and turned and told them to leave me
alone,

One of them came really close and started abusing me in Kannada and Hindi.
At that point I pushed him away from me. The next thing I know I’m in the
middle of a roadside brawl. The guy who spoke to me punched me and the other
three started hitting me as well. I fought back and all of us were in a
scuffle All through the attack I was abused in Hindi and Kannada for wearing
jeans and fighting back. After what seemed like an eternity I heard an auto
go by and I shouted out to him. Luckily for me he stopped. For a split
second the four men were taken aback and let go off me I pushed them and ran
across the road, climbed into the auto and begged him to take me home. The
four men followed me to the auto and tried to drag me out. At that point the
auto guy started the auto and rode away. The whole attack must have happened
in a span of about 5 or 6 minutes.