[Reader-list] Infiltration from Bangladesh cannot be completely plugged, says BSF chief New Delhi

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 1 03:48:17 IST 2009

Web India 123.com
http://news.webindia123.com/news/ar_showdetails.asp?id=711300235&cat=&n_date=20071130

November 30, 2007
New Delhi
<http://news.webindia123.com/news/ar_showdetails.asp?id=711300235&cat=&n_date=20071130#>|
November 30, 2007 11:15:05 AM IST

Border Security Force (BSF) Director General A K Mitra has said that it was
impossible to stop infiltration along India's porous borders with
Bangladesh.

"I believe that we cannot completely control infiltration through the
India-Bangladesh border. But that doesn't mean we stop our efforts towards
achieving the same. It is very porous border and even today many areas are
not fenced because of geographical barriers," said Mitra.

India shares a 4096-kilometer border with Bangladesh out of which the land
border stretch is around 2979 kilometers and the remaining 1116-kilometer
stretch in the riverline border, only 66 percent of
fencing<http://news.webindia123.com/news/ar_showdetails.asp?id=711300235&cat=&n_date=20071130#>of
the total stretch is complete.

New Delhi estimates there are up to 20 million illegal Bangladeshi
immigrants in India. Bangladesh denies the charges.

India is building a barbed wire fence to prevent unauthorized movement of
people across the border.

Dhaka does not oppose the fencing per se, but objects when it is built too
close to the zero line on the land and river line border. (ANI)