[Reader-list] Survey of the spectrum of arguments regarding MNIC as they exist in the public domain followed by questions.(1998-2004)

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 3 03:55:39 IST 2009

 Dear All, Dear Yosuf,

Many thanks for providing the context for your anecdote and forwarding the
links to various news stories on the issue of infiltration and security on
the Indian Border. I think these stories are important for all us because
they indicate a far more systemic failure on part of our organizations to do
their job properly.

I wonder why is political class of our country hell bent for the last seven
years to create a particular perception of fear and insecurity and dole
National Identity Card as the sole solution?

Having said that I certainly don't want to go in for a
-blame-the-politician- argument for our social ills, because certainly
terrorist attacks happen, people get killed, and ordinary citizens live
precarious lives, but insofar as the issue of Multiple Purpose National
Identity is concerned, the consensus building exercise for the issuance of
the card seems to tread multiple lines of argument which in my rather
limited opinion are as follows-

1. The Starting point- Kargil War occurs-for which intrusion is
blamed-fencing of border areas is peddled as a solution(spatial insulation
argument)-plus distribution of identity cards is forwarded as a second
option (social containment argument).

This argument is largely forgotten insofar as popular news media and
political commentators are concrened. I wonder why there is not even a
mention of it now?

Premise seems to be that MINC will alleviate intrusion of all illegal
foreigners.

2. 'Terror' Strikes- Islamic 'terrorists' blamed-since one cannot
differentiate between a Pakistani Muslim from a Bangladeshi Muslim from an
Indian Muslim from an Indian Hindu, identification of all people is peddled
as a solution- (Separating wheat from the chaff argument)

Premise seems to be that 'Good' Muslims would be separated from 'Bad'
Muslims.

3. Public Distribution System- Redistribution of moneis to the poor-the
corruption within the system is blamed- inefficiency of numbers and the
uncertainty of the identity of the beneficiary is blamed- distribution of
identity card is again peddled as a solution. (just distribution argument)

Premise seems to be that corruption in the system will be routed out.
Distribution will be just.

4.Population- Conducting Decennial census is a thing of the past- old mind
set is blamed- inefficient data collection is blamed- the national identity
card centers will collect data on a real time basis is peddled as a
solution. (Modernity argument, catching up with the West argument)

Premise seems to be that with real time data correct policies will be formed
with respect social and spatial aspects of the country and that there will
be no illegal immigrants.

5. Voter- The photo voter identity card is a failure- ease of forging of
documents is blamed- inefficiency of government agencies is processing
voter information is  blamed- National identity card and its 'multiple
purposes' is peddled as a solution. (Multiple Purpose Argument)

Premise seems to be that aspirations of genuine citizens could be
ascertained. Card will reduce the burden of carrying many documents. Data
processing will be streamlined.

In addition to MNIC the GOI is also considering the issuance of a Unified
National Identity Card or UID and plans are also underway for the creation
of a DNA database for the country. In both these cases the premise seems to
be that the -GOOD- of the country could be achieved, as a UID card will
benefit everybody and a DNA database will help in medical advancement.

Questions-

The above framework exists in mass consciousness. What we need to do now is,
I believe, ask  questions and seek answers to gain a grip on this unfolding
story.

I have divided my questions in this regard into two categories, general and
specific. First let us look at general questions-

1. If MINC is an identity document then what does the Government of India
mean by it?

More specifically what it mean to identify a particular person as that
particular person?

2. Is the production of a national identity card -an-absolute-and-necessary-
condition for all of us in India, if so WHY? What is the evidence that
supports this claim?

3. Is there NO OTHER way with which the money that the GOI has could be
distributed more justly?

4.On the basis of what evidence has the GOI come to this conclusion that
with MINC or the process of identification of people for granting them MINC
cards, will correctly identify all Indians as Indians? When all other forms
of identification have failed in the last one hundred and twenty years.

5. Is there any precedent wherein the distribution of identity cards have
benefited all recipients?

6. Who will be the real beneficiary, will it be the corporates (Companies
who have invested millions in the production and manufacture of cards and
who are in the data management game), the GOI who will have access private
and personal  information of millions of Indians which till now was strictly
the property of owner or the recipients?

Specific questions with respect to arguments which have come in the public
domain as listed above.

To begin with, in this post I will put forth just one question per
corresponding argument mentioned earlier. I will of course present more
questions in the event this post generates some discussion. I earnestly hope
it does. :)

1. Regarding Spatial insulation and social containment argument-

Given that Indian borders are still not insulated especially along Nepal and
Bangladesh border, how will the issuance of a National identity card deter
intrusions?

2. Regarding Separating the Wheat from the Chaff argument-

How will a National Identity Card solve the problem of 'Bad' Mulsims which
is far more complex and whose roots lie in socio-economic, socio-political,
religio-theological, ethno-national notions and popular interpretations of
these notions?

In other words how will a National Identity card prevent a mad enraged
Muslim oscillating between brink of insanity and completely misguided
religious fervor to annihilate himself and others in the process?

or from the perspective of the State, how will a National Identity Card help
the authorities in identifying the existence of such a rogue element amongst
the One Hundred and Fourteen Million Muslims  who live in India alone?

3.  Just Distribution argument-

What is the evidence that the information or the data so collected will not
be subjected to various ethno-national pressures?  In other words What is
the evidence that distribution entailing from such an exercise will be
corruption free?

or Is there any precedent where the issuance of cards has resulted in just
distribution?

4. Modernity Argument, Catching up with the West argument-

Given that there is no precedent of such a technology bearing fruit for all
in the West, why do we need to copy it in India?

What will we benefit as a Nation from such a massive disbursement of public
money? What is the opportunity cost? What is the evidence for the cost
benefit analysis that the GOI seems to have done for the introduction of
such a card?

5.  Multipurpose Argument-

Given that when we already have a range of identity cards addressing
individual purposes, why is the government not interested in making sure
that the truth claims and validity of earlier forms of identification is
made more sound?

Is the investment in improving earlier forms of identification more than,
what many believe to be 27000 crore rupees (The cost of bringing in MNIC for
a national roll out)? The assertion, that the total cost of National roll
out for MNIC is  27000 Crore, could be regarded as hear say, it stems from a
discussion at the Smart Card Exposition held in Pragati Maidan in 2006,
between S Swarn, the editor of Electronics Today Magazine and a
representative of NXP of Philips. I was part of audience. I ofcourse do not
have any evidence to support this claim. Hence we need to ask even more
fundamental question regarding the cost of the card. I would like to believe
that the cost of card will be more? That would include cost of building the
MNIC centers, creating the required architecture to maintain it and putting
a mechanism in place to run it.

What is the TOTAL COST of introducing and maintaining MNIC? Because we the
citizens of India have no access to this information?

What are the estimates?

How are those estimates arrived at?

Is the procedure just of arriving those estimates correct?

Warm regards

Taha

Dear Taha
No, I didn't read it anywhere. I was told this anecdote by an ex-IPS
officer (obviously name-less) who said this is quite a popular story.
In fact illegal movement of cattle for commercial purpose is very
common across Indo-Pak border (and could it be done without the help
of border forces?). You may see some reports below:

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/uncategorized/bsf-bdr-discuss-steps-to-tackle-cattle-smuggling-infiltration-lead_10088545.html

http://www.vina.cc/stories/GENERAL/2005/7/india.pak.animaldeal.html

http://in.reuters.com/article/topNews/idINIndia-33111220080418

http://www.newkerala.com/topstory-fullnews-54238.html