[Reader-list] Reports of Protests against Israeli Air Strikes in Gaza

Aman Sethi aman.am at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 05:07:40 IST 2009

Dear All,

An addition to the roster of un(der)reported protests.

In case this doesnt make it to the press,just attended a massive
protest rally outside the Israeli consulate at 42nd Street in New
York. The crowds stretched for almost 8 blocks all the way up to 50th
Street. The organisers- Al Awda New York - claimed an attendance of
nearly 20,000 - which did seem to be a bit excessive - but it
certainly was a rather large and noisy crowd.

There are protests planned for the coming weeks - a calendar of
protests can be found at
http://www.endtheoccupation.org/article.php?id=1773

The tone of the protest was largely around pressuring the American
administration to use its leverage with the Israeli state to end the
attack - even as Israel announced plans of sending in tanks, armoured
vehicles and troops. Other reports on a variety of news channel
suggest that the Israeli Navy has also moved in.

While the speakers - as at most rallies - had their own specific
stands on the invasion, the culpability of the US, and the nature of
the state of Israel; the main organisers made it a point to announce
that they were not anti-semitic in any way, but were against a certain
form of Zionism as manifested in the actions of the Israeli
administration.

The weather, by the way, was terrible.
best
a.