[Reader-list] Are Tougher Laws The Answer?

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 14:43:13 IST 2009

Dear Taha

First of all thanks for reading my mail. And I will try to respond to the
points you raised as much as I can.

The question of identity in our nation has been always a problematic one.
Hindus have divisions amongst themselves in the ways of caste, creed,
language, religion and so on. Ironically, there are many tribals, who are
categorized in the Indian census as Hindus, but don't consider themselves as
Hindus. Infact, as scholars themselves say, Hinduism is a way of life, not a
religion. And I do agree. It's this diversity that makes it rich. Also, they
are divided in the political and social sense. Dalits vote for different
political party compared to Thakurs. And Dalits have different social
concerns today than Thakurs.

Islam has by and large never supported divisions, as I believe (that's what
I have knowledge from my Muslim friends). But of course, identities are
always different. Having said that, thanks to the media portrayal, as well
as the political parties, Muslims have always been considered as a
homogeneous vote bank. And the further use of this by BJP and other
right-wing parties for suiting their ends, has ensured that this identity
difference has never been delved to. It has struck to form perceptions, in
minds of the nation and the world, including me.

The way this perception has been built up is wrong. After all, different
identities of a person should not be necessarily prioritised with. All
identities have an equal backing for me, and I believe for everybody. Hence,
to play with one's identity for political purpose backed with violence, is
certainly something I can't approve of.

Having said that, it's ironical that not only me or the Indians, even people
like Kasab have forgotten these differences in identity. I don't think the
Holy Quran ever says that in Jihad, the message is to just kill someone to
build the hegemony of the so-constructed Allah (this Allah is constructed by
these great conservatists, the likes of whom are represented by Laden,
Mullah Omar, and others). Similarly, even in Hindus, the diversity of the
practices has been totally forgotten. Instead, the BJP wants all Hindus to
follow Hindutva, a philosophy developed by an atheist called Savarkar.

But of course, those who understand religion, are deeply spiritual, and such
people know religious books will never say such things.

Hence Taha jee, I agree with you. It's time that we do ask questions. But of
course, I would emphasize the reason I asked fatwa and law.

I emphasized fatwa because religion has an impact on the Indian
subcontinent. I would like religion to be used constructively, as Gandhiji
envisaged and himself practiced. If this means we can use it to denounce
terrorists, what is the harm. It is a beginning only, and the different
aspects must certainly be looked at. But it pains me when I find that people
are saying that religion is not the solution.

Religion is the solution for the people to be brought back from the
fictitious perceptory world they are being forced to live in. Gandhiji
proved that. He knew that no religion believes greed is right. Today, with
the economic meltdown thanks to subprime lending crisis in USA which is
driving others down as well, we still fail to realize that. We are not
taught culture in homes, but we learn it through humanities and social
sciences courses. We don't read and understand religion, both in words,
ethical and moral practice. The result is the creation of terrorists. What
Sadhvi Pragya and Lashkars are taught are simply bigoted vocabulary to think
of the 'other' as an enemy, which has resulted in all the problems.

The Indian Govt may still develop the Muslims economically. Right. But then,
there is something called an Inner development. Who is going to bring that?
That's not the responsibility of the Indian Govt. It's achieved through
something, which has been the cornerstone of the Indian civilization,
religion and basically not even religion, but spirituality.

It's there that I seek a solution. I am not asking people to become swamis
and maulvis leaving every part of life. Neither can I become a Buddha, nor
am I asking others to do so.

A Westernized system was supposed to bring peace. It has destroyed us
totally. What is the only solution? To ensure our children learn about
religion and culture, regions, language, to ensure they morally practice
religion, rather than just reading it. If the so called bigots of religion
have wrecked the peace, it's the same religion which will give rise to many
who will bring peace. Like Gandhi. Like Jesus.

I know many would oppose me of being religious and foolish, even insane.And
I have no shame for the same.

Regards

Rakesh