[Reader-list] MUBAI ATTACK: Violence, publicity, and sovereignty

Swadhin Sen swadhin_sen at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 00:24:39 IST 2009

Dear Rakesh

Fascism, again - if u have already read my personal post to u- could be defined from different perspectives. But if we acknowledge an essentially universalized ideal, fascism can be termed as utter disrespect to tolerance to other views and violent actions towards 'the others'. And violence is not only corporeal. Violence or the act of violence could be manifested covertly or overtly by many other expressions (i.e. speech, gesture, writings, etc.).

I wonder whether she/he would have used the same words toward an Indian. Please, note that the blogger himself is an Indian. But she/he didn't attack the blogger who is very respected among the intellectual world.

I have strong doubts about the liberal notion of tolerance and free-speech. I am very fond of Talal Asad, a professor of Anthropology, and as an Asadist I may respect your liberal position; but I am also politically and intellectually critical about the position. Because, the historicity of the concept of liberalism suggest that the concept and practice of a liberal can essentially be ambivalent, self-contradictory and ahistorical.

With thanks

Swadhin

Swadhin Sen Archaeologist - Assistant Professor   Dept.of Archaeology            Tel:       +88 02 779 10 45-51 Ext. 1326 Jahangirnagar University      Mobile:  +88 0172 019 61 76   Savar,Dhaka. Bangladesh    Fax:      +88 02 779 10 52    swadhin_sen at yahoo.comswadhinsen at hotmail.com www.juniv.edu