[Reader-list] Researcher wanted for Heidelberg Professor in Kolkata during February

SOMNATH BATABYAL 133477 at soas.ac.uk
Tue Jan 13 11:34:43 IST 2009

Dear Friends,

I attach a mail from Prof Sax from Heidelberg University who is looking for
a research assistant in Kolkata. Details are in his mail below. Do contact
at this email address william.sax at urz.uni-heidelberg.de

Best

Somnath

Dear Colleagues,

I'm writing to ask if you can help me find a research assistant in Kolkata.
 I'm doing a small research project on "street canvassers" -- that is,
itinerant sellers of medicine (mostly for male potency, I gather) who have
quite performative "sales pitches" in public places.

I'll be in Kolkata briefly during the first half of February in order to
make contact with such people, and will return in January and February of
2010.  I would like to find a bright young student who could help me locate,
observe, and interview such people, and later translate interviews and
recorded "sales pitches."

I could pay Rs. 500 per day for about 7 days  in February, and then for most
of the two months in 2010.

Can any of you help me with this?

best wishes,
bo
--
Prof. William S. Sax, PhD
Coordinator, Research Area "Health and Environment,"

Ph  49 6221 54 88 36
FAX 49 6221 54 88 98

privat:
Sitzbuchweg 40
D-69118 Heidelberg

On 13/01/2009, Pawan Durani <pawan.durani at gmail.com> wrote:

> *No*, it is not a Hindu Homeland that we are seeking. We fully identify
> with
> tbe secular-democratic-pluralism of our country, so how can we ask for a
> Hindu homeland ? We are seeking a homeland for displaced Kashmiris who have
> faced suppression for centuries, who have been driven out by tyrants
> repeatedly in the course of history of monarchies and fiefdoms in the
> valley
> and who have been subjected to genocide of unparalleled magnitude in a free
> and democratic India. These people happen mostly to be Hindus. These were
> the people who staked themselves at the altar of secularism in Kashmir.
> They
> reaped the bitter fruits of being nationalists and secular. They are now
> unwelcome in their own land of which they are the original inhabitants.
> They
> will not be able to live in security, safety and dignity in the altered
> milieu in the valley which has now become completely Islamized and which
> has
> no place for other communities. If they are allowed to disperse and
> disintegrate it will be a total negation of the secular democratic ideals
> of
> India. Any attempt to deny them their rightful share in their place of
> habitation will have far reaching consequences for the rest of the country
> and will unleash uncontrollable forces of religious bigotry elsewhere in
> other States and may lead to exodus of minorities from there. So these
> displaced Kashmiris from the valley are seeking an honourable settlement in
> the valley and will welcome all those who contribute to the tenets of
> secularism, democracy and equality before law. We are not seeking a
> division
> of Kashmir into Muslim Kashmir and Hindu Kashmir because an Islamic Kashmir
> is already a fait accompli. What we are asking is our rightful share from
> it
> to convert it into a secular democratic homeland with full accession to
> India and without fetters of Article 370.
>

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Rakesh Iyer <rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Dear Pawan (and all)
> >
> > I have gone through the website, though I must admit not as fully as I
> > wanted to for lack of time. But there are certain observations I would
> like
> > to make here, after having gone through the website.
> >
> > First of all, there have been allegations of discrimination being made
> > against the Jammu and the Ladakh region, in terms of development. There
> must
> > be substantial truths in this I agree. There is also an element of
> Kashmir
> > appeasement involved in it, for when the delimitation process was being
> > conducted in 2001, the then Central Government (ironically, the NDA Govt.
> [...]

Somnath Batabyal
Teaching Fellow
Centre for Media and Film Studies
SOAS