[Reader-list] Fwd: Fw: cellular silence

Shilpa Phadke phadkeshilpa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 10:11:56 IST 2009

  The petition title is: Cellular Silence Day_30th January 2009.

The petition URL is:
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/30JAN09/petition.html<http://www.petitiononline.com/30JAN09/petition.html>

The petition is directed to: India Inc.

The petition statement says:

Dear Messrs, Ratan Tata, Sunil Mittal and Anil Ambani

I am one of a billion Indian citizens.

I am somewhere in the middle of that pyramid that you wish to give
voice - from bottom to top - through wealth creation.

I am proud of the brands you represent that have made India proud.

I am one of the burgeoning Indian middle-class that share your
aspirations of mutating India from indolent elephant to thundering
tiger.

It ends there...

I have hitherto been accused of being indifferent and apathetic,
simply because I am overawed and felt overwhelmed in a system replete
with Goliaths.

But when I saw you embrace the fascist mastermind of state sponsored
genocide as a future Prime Minister and endorse the Modi-fication of
India, it was disappointingly apparent that the brands that aspire to
make India rich shall continue to languish in ethical poverty.

While I am filled with revulsion at your endorsement of Narendra Modi,
I must respect your right to do so as a fellow citizen.

In writing this petition I am a mere David amongst the mightiest
corporate Goliaths but I feel empowered to address your collective
amnesia - through recollection of the Gujarat pogrom of 2002 - by the
true Goliath among Gujaratis in particular and Indians in general -
Mohandas Gandhi.

All those who sign this petition will switch off their Tata Indicomm,
Airtel and Reliance cellular phone and broadband connections from
midnight on January 30th 2009.

It is eminently possible that I might be the one voice in a billion
who will observe the 61st death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on as
Cellular Silence Day.

Then again, there might be close to a billion who could join me on
January 30th, 2009 expressing their solidarity and silently insisting
that the captains of India Inc adopt an ethical, compassionate path to
wealth creation rather than the single-minded pursuit of the
bottom-line.

We shall know that by the end of 30th January, 2009.