[Reader-list] Myths, Mangoes and ordered houses - re: 10 myths about pakistan

yasir ~يا سر yasir.media at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 05:54:47 IST 2009

Dear Taha

No I have not looked at many posters, however on a trip to an afghan refugee
camp on the border when the bombing in afghanistan was on, i did buy the
songs of the taliban which were sung without music.   the voice/s were
melodious and there was a chorus in some songs - they sounded like slowly
sung chants.

in the bus there  the bus driver put it on a tape, which i learned later was
a cassette designed as a magazine updating people on what was going on in
the afghanistan fight, with a new edition released every so often. in the
bus people listened for a while but soon were bad mouthing him. it turned
out that the conductor, a young guy was the one who wanted to blast it. he
had to shut up then, but he didnt give up...

as for posters, i probably only know only ones that relate to 'broader
issues'.
see abro:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abro/sets/72157604267486790/

I think someone has looked briefly at a history of wallchalkings as
political statements in karachi - I think in Language and Politics in
Pakistan by Tariq Rehman

best

yasir