[Reader-list] News Items posted on the net on Multipurpose National Identity Cards-75

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 22 12:57:44 IST 2009

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2008/jan/871684.htm

Delhi citizens told to carry photo ID from January 15
Date: 2008-1-6

New Delhi: BJP yesterday dubbed as "impractical" Delhi Government's
move to make it mandatory for everybody in the capital to possess a
photo identity card. Instead, it asked the Central Government to
create a national citizen register and issue multi-purpose cards to
all citizens to fulfill security concerns. "We can understand the Lt
Governor's intention. But in reality, 50 per cent of people in Delhi
do not possess any kind of identity card," BJP spokesperson Prakash
Javadekar said.

"In the present situation, the suggestion seems to be impractical," he
told reporters here. Javadekar said it is to be seen whether Delhi Lt
Governor's Tejinder Khanna's suggestion fulfills the basic aim of
addressing security concerns or is reduced to just checking of
citizens. "We will have to wait and see whether it works or troubles
the people," he added.

Starting from January 15, citizens of Delhi would have to carry their
ID cards at all times or they could be in trouble with the law.
Delhi's Lieutenant Governor had issued the order citing the need to
tighten security after recent terror attacks.

The police can ask the citizens for identity proofs and carry out
random checks whenever they choose to. "We will be doing random checks
and who ever we find suspicious will be asked for ID," said YS Dadwal,
Commissioner, Delhi Police.

The identity card could be in the form of a photo ID, ration card,
school cards, passport or even an office I-card, provided the company
is registered with the police. Failure to produce the identity cards
will require action against the citizens. The order is likely to have
a large impact on the migrant population in the city.

The LG of Delhi yesterday submitted his annual report and he stressed
on making Delhi a safe city.
Tejinder Khanna, Lieutenant Governor of Delhi said, "It's nothing that
is complicated, it's for the safety of all the residents here." The LG
also stated that all the drivers in Delhi need to have licences issued
to them by the Delhi government.

Some say that while this measure justifies the rule for security
purposes, it could become a way for the police to harass the citizens.
Prashant Bhushan, Senior Supreme Court lawyer said such strictures are
only symptomatic of a police state.

Dr Kiran Bedi, former Director General, Bureau of Police Research and
Development has welcomed the move and said that it is a great idea.