[Reader-list] Is peace and reconciliation an illusion?

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 22:28:46 IST 2009

Dear Taha
I will respond to your message a little later. Right now I am forwarding the response of at least one Pakistani to Kumkum Chadha's essay.

(By the way, Taha, if we achieve your dream of the Akhand Bharat, we'd at least not have to worry about the biometric national ID-cards which you keep talking of, since we won't have any illegal migrants)

=====
To.
Ms Kumkum Chada,

Your letter was forwarded by Yousaf Saeed. What you write is not my experience. I am not a 'peacenik' but I have successful working relationships with Indians- in TIFR and in music circles.

We are all full of conflicting desires and emotions. History is full of accounts of  brother killing brother for the usual reasons. But, for the overall progress of society, we try to keep our thirst for blood in check.

Why can we not learn from Europeans? Must we like them go through devastating  wars to realize that there is a better option available?

Yes, the divide is irreparable- even real brothers choose to live separately. But it does not mean that we should stop cooperating in promoting what we  find of value in our personal lives.

This hostility and suspicion you write about is present everywhere. There are constant fights between peoples of different ethnicity in Pakistan- who all have the same religion. Making them realize that dialogue is a better option than unwarranted and continuous violence is something one should seriously strive for. And the same goes for India and Pakistan.

The merchants of violence would certainly not want peace anywhere, but I am not going to fall for this .

I live in Saudi Arabia and I have much more in common with Indians than Arabs. At least, I understand Hindi . I have never been invited by any Arab, but many times by Indian Hindus.

When I was a student in Notre Dame - way back in the 70s- my best friends were from South India- because of our common love of classical music . We did realize our differences but that did not mean that we should order our lives on a foundation of hatred.

So, really, our culture does bind us. Your perception- that there is no love lost between Indians and Pakistanis- is really a reflection of your own experiences and proclivities.

Regards,
Hassan Azad

hssnazad at gmail.com
http://faculty.kfupm.edu.sa/MATH/hassanaz/