[Reader-list] Google & the Future of Books (February 12, 2009)

The New York Review of Books noreply at nybooks.com
Tue Jan 27 17:49:41 IST 2009

Sabitha TP <sabitha_tp at yahoo.co.uk> thought you would be interested in
the following article from The New York Review of Books.

--

The New York Review of Books
February 12, 2009

Google & the Future of Books
By Robert Darnton

How can we navigate through the information landscape that is only
beginning to come into view? The question is more urgent than ever
following the recent settlement between Google and the authors and
publishers who were suing it for alleged breach of copyright. For the
last four years, Google has been digitizing millions of books,
including many covered by copyright, from the collections of major
research libraries, and making the texts searchable online. The
authors and publishers objected that digitizing constituted a
violation of their copyrights. After lengthy negotiations, the
plaintiffs and Google agreed on a settlement, which will have a
profound effect on the way books reach readers for the foreseeable
future. What will that future be?

If you enjoy this article, you may be interested in one of the
Review's free email newsletters:

http://www.nybooks.com/newsletters

You can also keep up to date with our RSS feed:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/nybooks

This message was sent to you using the "email to a friend" feature
on http://www.nybooks.com.  The New York Review of Books is not
responsible for the contents of this message.