[Reader-list] Is painting a currency note which can not be forged unless you act illegally?

indersalim indersalim at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 00:09:59 IST 2009

Dear Kshmendra
yes, one wishes that the Govt. is serious about the procedures laid in
our constitution to protect the interests of each and every citizen of
this counrty. But alas
 theory is different from practice.

You see, 26/11 never looked fake from the word go. but this one begins
with doubt, and the newspapers are openly asking some valid questions.
Do you have answers?

But we know there is really no system to ask the police, even the
judiciary will take a lenient view keeping in view  security
concerns,...
anyway, thanks , but i guess, you are really competent enough to speak
on the subject fake/original. it is open ended subject and not
confined to art only, and above all, you know i am not an academician,

regards love
is

Dear Taha

I am always thankful for a response like yours, primarily because I
get a chance to stretch my imagination. You have indeed opened more
space to look deeper into our structures of identity, both inner and
outer. I am really keen to see more such comments on this subject:
fake/original.

I quote you, "The argument, back then, was simple, that till 19th
century, there was a division between the subject and the object in so
far as the physical sciences were concerned". See, it is only now that
we see it like that, because the complexities of times were not as
heavy on their heads as they are now. This is precisely what will
happen to Raza's worry about fake/original if it lapses into a
status-quo of sorts, which is that a fake is superior than a fake. I
see walls of this difference collapsing, whether good or bad, but
something is changing, which not only affects ' the style' of an
particular painter of Modern era, but also our set of different
identities, such as religion, ethnicities gender etc. But, see how
nation state's interests are taken care of by a contrived thrust to
maintain the difference, otherwise stale.

I don't remember his name, perhaps an Australian Artist, who submitted
a realistic self portrait in Water Colour instead of a simple pass
port size photograph to the pass port Authorities for issuance of Pass
Port. Obviously, the State declined to issue him a pass port since the
water colour is not a photograph but an art work. But he made a point.

A particular practice turns 'the State' into some sort of colour
blindness. i believe so.

I believe, European Wars necessitated the need for a photograph to
represent an individual, which gave shape to a formal pass port with a
regular photograph in it. Yet we know how spies faked them all the
time and perforated each others Nation States walls at will. Almost
all the parties lost the battle. Now with latest terrorist threats the
age old practice of photograph looks primitive. Meanwhile, artists see
it a art form, aesthetic forms. Cindy Sherman faked different iconic
poses by performing a still in front of  Camera, which turned out to
be 'original '  and now Artist Pushpamala N successfully does the same
with Indian system of iconic imagery it can be endless...and why
not...

 Coming back to Fakes in the hands of non-State Actors we need to have
originals. So a simple pass port with visa looks insufficient unless
your eyes are not scanned and finger's impressions duly recorded in
digital formats.  The latest representative of an individual is
her/his image of Cornea. So, why not imagine an Identity Card which
has the system that instantly reveals an individual's design inside
the eye. The state can afford to ignore the huge community of blinds,
but that will be the latest technological grand national achievement.
But what if the data is hacked, or altered at some level. Do we need
to maintain both the systems, and hope to keep the ' faker' at a
distance. To avoid a 'fake', do we need to turn a billion of our
population into some sort of colour blindness. Similarly, do we need
to create a range of systems, as Ashok Vajpayee and his friend Raza
would love all of us to do, which can isolate a fake from the
original. Is that the end and beginning of Art?  Is  National identity
card similarly the beginning and end of ones identity?

If the image of Dodo is hanging like dead Albatross around our necks,
then what image is adequate to represent us in our identity cards?
Again today's newspaper, " world's highest Pharma levels in Andhra
Stream" . Who is responsible? The factories, who supply generics to US
and Europe, and the income it generates obviously pushes the National
Developmental Graph upwards .  That is good for most of privileged us,
but what about the people living in tribal belts of Andhara Pradesh,
who had no choice but to drink the deadly water. So how to explain the
fake v/s original to such an inhabitant living there for millions of
years, but now threatened to die as ' unmarked'.

Another news: Indian Generic sales might be hit by counterfeit charge.
Now it is all about Trade and its bullying tactics of the West. Big
Indian Pharma firms don't have patent on particular combination and so
can not pass their products through European seas for Latin American
demands. Now, see at National Level we have no choice but to oppose
this European Rule, but at the grass root level it is already a
disaster, as we know. Identity wise, we are caught in a paradox. Let
us hope there is no dead end, a frustration.

It is after all not a big issue to separate a fake painting from a
original one, even when we know the painting changes while its surface
is wet,  and keeps on changing endlessly after it is dry even, but the
change is so slow that we can safely say in a gallery that the
painting is a still object. We  need not be caught unwittingly by some
illusion which stifles our simple expression even. We may notice the
difference between a fake Raza and an original Raza.  They are indeed
two, but to what extent the difference changes my aesthetic reasoning.
Am I identifiable more by an original Raza than its forged one ? Is a
Pass Port in my hands the last thing which I want to know about my
self, identity wise and beyond…

The question indeed here is if every other thing in the museums and
galleries is faked and put on sale as originals. Yes, the collector
should bother, not those who are not interested to collect,
particularly if there is a huge price tag attached to it. After all,
both fakes and originals will remain on this earth, in this form or
that form. Let us see how we can go deeply into the actual function of
these art objects which are vulnerable to fakes.

Some times the fake is art, and the original can be disaster.  Again
we have news today: Floating Message.  A 16 feet high polar bear
sculpture sails down the Thames to raise awareness about melting Ice
caps. Imagine, if a real piece of snow with a trapped polar bear
floats on the Thames what a sad news it would be.
But wait, it has already happened, not on Thames but in a distant sea,
and the fake of the real is functioning as vital. It wont be far when
we have the sad original floating in London with no means to push the
polar bear back to ice caps.

Munch's Scream comes to my mind, We hear its scream only when it is
stolen from the gallery, but not when it actually wants to be heard.
Do we need to do a  research whether the painting in the gallery is
original or fake? In any case we don't hear the scream.
That is 'idiocy' of our times.

Love
Inder salim