[Reader-list] Delhi: Adventures in a Megacity and Sarai

sam miller sammillerdelhi at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 09:41:28 IST 2009

Dear Friends - I know it's not quite done to post publicity material to a reader-list. But my excuse is that my first book, 'Delhi: Adventures in a Megacity',.which has just been published in India does have a brief sections about Sarai. This is how it begins:

"Sarai is Delhi at its most modern, its most virtual. It exists in a series of rooms in Civil Lines, but it also orbits in cyber-space.  According to its own publicity literature, Sarai ‘encompasses an inter-disciplinary research programme, a platform for critical reflection, a screening space, a convivial context for online and offline conversations and a media lab’. I have known about Sarai for several years, as an unashamed lurker on its e-mail groups – receiving regular updates on a eclectic range of subjects, often about Delhi, ranging from ‘the Culture of Telephone Booths’, through ‘Society and the Soap Factory to ‘Locating Sexuality through the eyes of Afghan and Burmese Refugee Women in Delhi’. "
More about 'Delhi:Adventures in a Megacity' on the website www.penguinbooksindia.com/delhi with lots of competitions and games related to the book.

There’s the Delhi Treasure Hunt – with a prize of Rs 5000 worth of books – and for which a new clue will be revealed each week. The first clue is on the site now. There’s also the Delhi Challenge – for the first challenge we’re asking visitors to the website to write a 200-word description of their favourite Delhi building.

There’s also a Facebook site http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1854238&id=506766813#/group.php?gid=45927894283

And if you’re not in the subcontinent, the book will be published by Jonathan Cape in the UK in June – and you can even pre-order it at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delhi-Sam-Miller/dp/0224086103

Please do give me feedback, and please, please point out any errors. The Sarai reader list, despite a few flame wars, has been a great source of information and inspiration for me in writing this book.

Best wishes

Sam