[Reader-list] The weighty burden of names

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 31 16:28:45 IST 2009

Dear Shilpa

Thank you for sharing with us an essay on your interpretation of Sanjay
Dutt's remarks.

May I suggest that you are absolutely right in pointing Sanjay Dutt's rather
feudal observation, that being male he has more valid claim to his father's
surname, as misogynist.

I do not know how a person, who for many years now have carefully
constructed a public persona of a still struggling fifty year old teenager,
is going to shoulder the responsibilities of a public office, in case he
gets elected. Given the propensity of voters belonging to UP in particular
to elect filmi contestents like Jaya Prada in Lok Sabha, Raj Babbar on an
earlier occasion and Jaya Bachchan in Rajya Sabha, I will not be surprised
if Sanjay Dutt do well at the hustings. But I hope better sense prevails.

I think by making such a public statement, Sanjay Dutt, has demonstrated
once again, his ineptitude to handle  challenging situations, just goes on
to show the steep emotional journey he has traversed since 1992 when he
bought guns to protect the 'muslim community' and 'do something' about the
riots or when he was taking drugs or when he with his buddy Mr.Manjerkar
were indulging in 'bhai talk' on real time.

In my personal opinoin, I would rather have him wear his banyians and
entertain with his munabhai lines.

Regards

Taha