[Reader-list] To Taha Mehmood

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 31 20:20:58 IST 2009

Dear Pawan

Thank you for your response.

It is indeed true that apples do not grow in Nagpur and Oranges in Kashmir,
but don't you sometimes feel that what is true of apple and oranges might
not be true of milk and butter. It is indeed unfortunate that we have to
deal with the numbing presence of terrorism- which is either State induced
or of religious variety be it Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, or Christian on a daily
basis like milk and butter. I would certainly want it be like apple and
oranges, which would deem it to be more localised and seasonal.

Think of it this way- both RSS and Lashkar do not want the good of all. Both
RSS and Lashkar thrive on demonization of the 'other' which is a narrow way
of looking at things. Both RSS and Lashkar do more harm to all than they do
good which they claim in the name of a few proponents. Lashkar's claim to
Islam is as valid or invalid as RSS's claim to Hinduism. It is true that
words like terrorism are employed to describe Lashkar as words like culture
are used to describe RSS. But no word is inalienable part of an
organizations. One can easily interchange these words and state that Lashkar
promotes a terror culture as RSS indulges in acts of cultural terrorism-such
an articulation will not alter fundamental attitudes and value systems which
is common to these organizations.

Warm regards

Taha