[Reader-list] And here ends my journey to Kashmir

Junaid justjunaid at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 03:07:38 IST 2009

And here ends my journey to Kashmir

EXPERIENCE

By Sumegha Gulati

Today is my last day in Srinagar. The experiences I had in these two
months were immensely different from what I had seen earlier. A
different culture, new companions, supportive professionals and loving
people—the various hues of Kashmir made it a beautiful journey. And at
the end of it, I find myself becoming nostalgic about the days I spent
here.

Before coming to Kashmir, I used to feel that the journey is tough
only till I reach Srinagar. I was under the impression that once I
start working, things would be easier. Of course, I had then too known
that a different culture and the stereotypical image I had of Kashmir
were bound to become problematic for me in the due course of time. But
the challenges I faced here were of an unexpected kind.

Torn between the love for one’s nation and the realities I was facing
each day, I would often wonder where to devote my loyalties—for the
“national interest” of my country or for the cause of the Kashmiris.

At times, I would tell my folks back home in Delhi about the
atrocities the Indian state has inflicted on the Kashmiris. They would
get irritated listening to all this. Often, they would tell me that
the situation is not the way I perceive it and the Army is required to
protect the borders.

I remember a couple of days ago, when I called up my brother to inform
him about my return tickets, I said, “Bhai, I am coming back to
India.” He waited for a few seconds before saying, “Shut up!” and
banged the phone down.

On the other hand, when I would accept that the Indian state has
wronged Kashmiris, not all my Kashmiri companions would agree with the
authenticity of my views. I found my genuineness questioned time and
again, particularly by those in the professional circles. There would
be times when I would be labelled as Indian pseudo
Kashmiri-empathisers for my pro-Azadi stand.

So, at the end of these two months, I can say that I am still holding
on to my viewpoint; while simultaneously trying to make my folks back
at home as well as my colleagues and friends in Kashmir believe that
Indians too, can accept their mistakes, provided they are made aware
regarding the ground realities.

Indians love their country. All individuals do; there is nothing
special in Indians about that. The problem is a bit different with us,
particularly when it comes to the Kashmir issue. Brought up with
strong feelings of nationalism and “Mera Bharat Mahan” kind of an
ideology, most Indians, perhaps a very large number of them are
blissfully unaware of the flaws their country is facing.

Add to it the unobjective stand taken by the mainstream Indian media
regarding Kashmir and the result is a mass of millions of Indians who
conveniently stereotype all Kashmiris as “Jihadi” and “Terrorists”. Of
course, one cannot just blame the media and the Indian state for all
wrongs. The Indian citizens too are at a fault for this.

It does not take one to be an Einstein or a Newton to realise a simple
fact that 18 to 20 per cent of our union budget goes to Defence each
year; despite the fact that more than 30 per cent of the Indians live
below the poverty line. The hard earned money of the Indian taxpayers
like my father is being regularly pumped into the valley to maintain
the seven lakh troops in Kashmir; not to develop the infrastructure
here. And even if we leave Kashmir alone, who is answerable for the
underdevelopment of the rest of India? Just to preserve the inflated
ego of the Indian state and maintain its unjustified holding on a
foreign land, the basic rights of a large section of the Indian masses
are being violated each day. A cursory glance at the union budget of
the fiscal year 2005-06 provides a deep insight. While a total of Rs
83000 crores was allocated for the Defence outlay, a mere Rs 6425
crores was the revised budget estimate for Agriculture and allied
activities. The fact that there were enormous farmer suicides in the
latter half of 2006, following the above mentioned budget, is a bit
too much for a coincidence. The government of Maharashtra admits to
1,447 farm suicides in 2006 alone. And that's in only six districts of
Vidharbha.

Interestingly, even after the reports of the farmer suicides hit the
headlines, the budget outlay for Defence in the year 2006-07 was
increased to Rs 89,000 crores. No doubt the Indian government has
taken measures to integrate Kashmir with the mainland. Electricity in
Kashmir is perhaps the cheapest as compared to the Indian States. The
occasional medical camps organised by the Army for locals are another
crucial aspect, even if they are aimed more at creating a favourable
image of the Indian state than the philanthropic nature of the forces.
Yet, all this can never hide the stains of the Kashmiri blood that
colour the hands of the Indian troopers. In the two months that I
stayed here, custodial killings, rapes, beatings and torture became an
indispensable part of my professional life. Unfortunately, the figures
have been shocking always when it comes to Kashmir.

Reports received from various civil society observers suggest that
from January 2009, till May this year, 49 human rights violation cases
have been reported. 36 people died in various violence related
activities, while 3 rape cases were reported. Besides, four cases of
custodial killings and six cases of alleged enforced disappearances
came to the forefront.

Whether it was the crushing of ten-year-old Khushboo under an Army
vehicle at Lasjan, or the death of sixteen-year-old Arif Ayub by a
tear gas shell; whether it was the custodial killing of Manzoor Beig
or the Shopian rape and murder case…the stories are all same. Only the
names and faces change. I visited many families here who had lost
their loved ones. Majority of the 400 students who stay in the Yateem
Khana at Bemina crossing are children of this conflict. The eyes of 5
year old Adil, who lost his father after the last shell hit him before
the Indo-Pak crossfire was declared, would haunt me forever.

After having a glimpse into the lives of Kashmiris, it is difficult
for any common Indian not to empathise with the Kashmiris. And I still
go by my stand that provided all Indians are made aware about the
ground realities prevailing in the valley; they would readily accept
the wrongs their government inflicted here. I also assert that the
Indian democracy is restricted till Lakhanpur. Beyond it, we have no
democracy; only the oppression, a sham that the Indian state has
beautifully engineered with the help of the mainstream media for its
own vested interests in this region.
Most importantly, I reaffirm my pro-Azadi stance. A lot of elderly
people in Kashmir claim that Kashmir still has chances to integrate
with the mainland. Many of them feel that the withdrawal of the
draconian laws such as AFSPA is a major step towards this integration.
However, the people of my father’s age- in Delhi as well as in
Kashmir- have already played their innings. It is our time now. And
being one of the youths of India, I can say that neither the
youngsters in Kashmir nor in India are interested in prolonging this
oppression. Of course, the precondition being making them aware about
the ground realities here.

(Sumegha Gulati is from Delhi)