[Reader-list] On the business of E-Governance.

Jeebesh jeebesh at sarai.net
Thu Jul 2 17:56:24 IST 2009

On 02-Jul-09, at 5:35 PM, Taha Mehmood wrote:

> Companies impacted
>
> Positive impact on IT Services – Infosys, TCS, Wipro, HCL Tech, Tech
> Mahindra, Mphasis and other outsourcing companies.
>
> Expectation - Introduction of MNIC (Multi-purpose National Identity
> Cards)
>
> The government is committed to having a central data base and has
> planned to implement the Multi-purpose National Identity project,
> currently in pilot mode in 12 districts. The project is expected to be
> completed in three years, with more than 1bn cards to be supplied. We
> expect the tender to be divided among three or four players, with each
> having to supply at 60 million – 80 million cards p.a. Average
> realizations here would be much higher than SIM cards. The realization
> for 2G SIM cards is at Rs 30 each whereas MNICs can cost anywhere
> between Rs 50-75 each. Hence, we expect a positive impact on
> Bartronics.

Dear Taha,

This is excellent investigative lead.

Clearly this is big "Stimulus" package in one go to the major software
companies.

Then there will be maintenance and renewal packages.

It would be worthwhile to make a list of companies that are benefiting
massively from the new "security" discourses.

Security panic and security enterprise is directly connected. Maybe
media companies stake-holders could be analyzed.

It seems that another layer to the earlier "military-industrial-
complex" is being added via the security duct. A much heavier and
discursively dispersed layer. It was cold war that was seen as giving
such legitimacy to the earlier apparatus.  Now it a generalised social
panic around security that has given such incredible legitimacy to
this grandiose, megalomanic ideas and hidden enterprise around it.

Keep up the investigation. We need it more than ever before.

love
jeebesh