[Reader-list] Voices against HC Judgement emerge

A.K. Malik akmalik45 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 4 21:12:11 IST 2009

Dear Mr Agarwal,
                 Section 377 of Indian Penal Code says that anyone having carnal sex against the law of nature shall be punishable with....( Exact language may be a little different).The court has struck down this for consenting adults doing this in private being violative of Art 14,16 and 21 of the Constitution.( I have still not read the judgement,this is what I remember from news reports)While for minors it is still there as they are not supposed to give consent before being 18 years of age.Criminality word is usually given for offences under the IPC.The consenting adults can be Male-Male or Male-Female. Such an act even with one's own wife was punishable.What Govt is required to do legally is to remove/delete this from IPC and include the balance part of carnal sex with minors under Sec 376 -Rape.
Illegal in practice would means something done against any law enacted by an Act of Parliament or against any Rules made under any law.Thus if one has an 11 month's lease as tenant with a landlord and the tenant does not give vacant possession after 11 months to landlord who does not extend the lease, then he is committing an illegal act but mind it, it is not criminal.There may be hundreds of things like this-possessing foreign exchange more than the specified limit etc.
No further benefits of any sorts accrue to such couples as marriage, adoption,inheritance etc.The only concession they would be getting is that they cannot now be proscuted for any such act in private.And still there is confusion whether the Delhi HC  judgement is valid only for Delhi or for all over India. Normally the territorial jurisdiction of an HC is the State.
With kind regards,
(A.K.MALIK)