[Reader-list] Mayavati and her statues.. (thanks to Insight)

Sudeep K S sudeep.ks at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 00:15:45 IST 2009

Mayavati and her
statues<http://sudeepsdiary.blogspot.com/2009/07/mayavati-and-her-statues.html>

*“She is spending Rs 1000 crore on establishing statues of elephants and
herself. Can there be something more shameful than this in Indian politics,”
* he asked.

*“Of what use will be the statues in UP. The Rs 1000 crore could have helped
wipe out poverty of thousands of people, provide basic amenities and
education.."* he said, addressing a meeting to thank voters of his
constituency Sivaganga.

Behenji is in news again. Prabin, Kufr and RW react to PC in defence of
Mayavati, and Anu counters it:

*"..this from the leader of a party which has named universities, museums,
planetariums, zoos, sanctuaries, sanatoriums, hospitals, art galleries,
theatres, dams, power projects, schools, colleges, awards, streets,
highways, bridges, poverty alleviation schemes, employment schemes, farmer
support schemes, housing schemes, health schemes, loan schemes, airports,
railway stations, bus stations, sanitation schemes, social security schemes,
industrial townships, parks, elephants and tigers and other faunae,
educational scholarships and fellowships, research grants, stadia, gyms,
traffic junctions, office buildings etc after members of one family. with
public money.."*, says Kufr. [Read complete post: *A cure for that
Madness*<http://kufr.blogspot.com/2009/06/cure-for-that-madness.html>
]

* * *

*"What is missing in such ‘common sense’ perceptions is that Mayawati along
with Kanshi Ram, like all innovators and path breakers, has been an
iconoclast of the highest order. Between the two of them, they have created
for the first time in Indian history a successful party representing some of
the poorest and socially ostracized masses of the country. Like it or not,
it is an unprecedented achievement.."*

*"..It is possible that she may gain a popular following by installation of
these statues. It is possible too that this may boomerang. Even in the
latter case, it is certain that she shall leave behind powerful symbols that
will inspire future social struggles. In either case, it is a political
advance for dalit and alternative politics..*", goes *a reader's
words*<http://readerswords.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/mayawatis-iconoclasm-and-the-statues/>
.

* * *

*Why I am Proud of the Statues* <http://blog.insightyv.com/?p=142>, writes *
Prabin* on *Round table at Insight young voices*<http://blog.insightyv.com/>
.

* * *

*Anu* <http://castory.wordpress.com/> disagrees with all three of them. "..*not
because I don’t value, the in the face attitude and literally in their lives
-life size statues reminding the upper castes that times are a changing, no
not at all, I love it. I just happen to want more, much much more from
her.."* (*I disagree* <http://castory.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/i-disagree/>
).

* * *

*Tailpiece*: There were expected expressions of shock when I said I'd rather
want Mayavati as PM [See: *Election
time..*<http://sudeepsdiary.blogspot.com/2009/04/election-time.html>].
Another friend said while on a visit to Lucknow earlier this year: "*she is
making statues of herself probably because she knows nobody would do it
after her death.*" I ask, when she knows that -- and you and me also know it
-- how can we blame her for making those statues?]

[Image courtesy: Insight <http://blog.insightyv.com/>]

[posted on http://sudeepsdiary.blogspot.com ]