[Reader-list] Letter to Jairam Remesh

T Peter peter.ksmtf at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 16:28:04 IST 2009

Shri. Jairam Remesh

Honourable minister

Ministry of Environment& Forest,

Pariyavaran Bhavan, CGO Complex,

Lodi Road, New Delhi- 110003.

Dear Shri. Jairam Ramesh,

As per the discussion we had with you, you had made it clear to us that the
CZM Notification will cease to exist by July 22, 2009. However, your
ministry has called for a meeting

`for the finalisation of the Coastal Management Zone Notification' on July
11, 2009. Some representatives connected with the fishing community are also
called in short notice. We would be happy to receive a clarification from
you on the lack of communication between you and the Union Ministry of
Environment and Forests. We would also like to know the terms of reference
of this meeting and how the outcome of this process will be used for any
possible future notification connected with the lives of the coastal people.

We would like to emphasise at this point that while many dilutions to
CRZ notification have been passed so far on the coastal issues bowing down
to commercial interests, the main issue even today is the ongoing violations
of the CRZ. No government has taken any action on the thousands of CRZ
violations that have taken place all over the coasts, destroying the
enviornment as well as the lives of coastal people. Any effort to make
changes in laws without considering these factors can only add to the
existing coastal problems. We would be very keen to know about your
strategies to take action on this.

Looking forward to hearing from you at the earliest,

T.Peter

Secretary - NFF

         &

President - KSMTF

No: 55, Garuda Building, GPO Lane,

Statue, Thiruvananthapuram-695001, Ph: 0471-3012196, 09447429243

http://www.keralafishworkers.org, http://www.alakal.net