[Reader-list] Call for Submission

Rohit K Dasgupta rhit_svu at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 12 12:45:47 IST 2009

  		Kinaara
is a monthly online literary magazine for the youth in South Asia and
the diaspora. It aims to provide an opportunity for publication of
chiefly writing – literary and sociological, fiction and non-fiction;
and also art, photography and in-between compositions by young people
who identify themselves or their work as South Asian.

Kinaara will never
discriminate among its readers and/or contributors on the basis of
race, caste, religion, nationality, place of birth, place of residence,
gender, sexual preference, physical disability, academic qualification,
occupation or political affiliation.

However:

Kinaara is a youth      magazine, and while we agree that the definition of youth is debatable, at      Kinaara we maintain an upper age limit of 30 years for being accepted for      submission.
Kinaara is a magazine about South Asia,
so we will only accept submissions from people who identify as South
Asian and/or work that relates in any way to South Asia.
Kinaara is a literary magazine, which
means we are committed to a certain standard of quality in writing. If
you are incapable of writing comfortably in English, please consider
writing in any language you are comfortable in and getting your work
translated to English by someone else. If you are incapable of writing
comfortably in any language, perhaps being published in a magazine is
not what you are looking for.

Submissions

  		Upcoming Editions:

August 2009:
The tentative theme is CONFLICT. We are looking for articles, stories,
poetry, art, photography and anything in between that explore,
deconstruct and comment on conflict. The last date of submission is July 15.

September 2009: No theme. Choose your topic and send in your work. The last date of submission is August 15.

—

Submission Guidelines:

All submissions      should be sent to submit at kinaaramagazine.org

Kinaara is a themed magazine. We aim to
publish people who identify as South Asian and/or work that relates to
South Asia. If your work is of a different concentration, we will be
unable to accept or publish your work.
The upper age limit      of submission to Kinaara is 30 years. Please      mention your age along with your submission. (Add a note if you don’t want      us to publish it.)
We are looking for around a limit of 3000 words for prose fiction,
2000 words for articles, and 60 lines for poetry per feature. The limit
for comics is 5 pages, with each page being of A4 size. For a photo or
art feature, send in no more than 10 images. Each image file must be no
larger than 500 kbs.
Add a two-sentence introduction to yourself along with your
submission, possibly mentioning location, occupation and age. This is
important, because we will not publish a submission without it. It is
also important that you keep your introduction to two sentences. We
will edit it to that size otherwise.
Send in your work as MS Word (.doc or .docx), MS Text (.txt) or
JPEG (.jpg) files, or files that open with similar applications. If
your work is shorter than 1000 words, you can also paste it in the mail
body. Send Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) files only if you require specific
image-text arrangements. Refrain from sending unfamiliar file formats.
Please remember that if we cannot open your file, we may not consider
publishing it.
—

Additional Guidelines:

If you have used      secondary information in your article, add a reference to the source.
If you want to be published in a particular edition, it would help
to send in your submission as early as possible. We don’t make the
final selection till the deadline is crossed, but we may start forming
a vague idea of what we like as the submissions come in.
Please check your spellings, punctuations, grammar and formatting
as much as possible. No writing comes entirely in bold or italics. No
writing comes in green or violet or other random colours either. Don’t
use a formatting you don’t have an explanation for.
Please don’t flood      us. Send in one set of submission at a time.
Please don’t send us your work asking for critique. If we select
your work we will get in touch with suggestions, if any, but we cannot
be expected to provide critical analysis for every submission.
Rohit K Dasgupta
Dept. of English, JU

on behalf of the Kinaara team

www.kinaaramagazine.org