[Reader-list] Shopian Rape - A family Fued

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 14:38:32 IST 2009

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=HomePage&id=96212f27-b2ee-4e19-b92a-f773c3ec6be9&Headline='Shopian+report+character+assassination'

The relatives of the two women found raped and murdered in Kashmir's Shopian
town have rejected the judicial commission report which, while indicting
local police officials for destruction of evidence, also sought
investigation of the role of some family members.

Relatives of Nilofar Jan, 22, and her sister-in-law Asiya Jan, 17, termed
the one-man Justice (retired) Muzaffar Jan commission report -- released to
public Friday -- as "character assassination" for seeking a thorough
investigation into the character and possible involvement of Nilofar's
husband and brother-in-law in the incident.

The relatives of the victims have also threatened to proceed against Justice
Jan.

The Shopian agitation committee, formed in the wake of the crime, has also
rejected the probe findings, terming it as "a cover up operation".

Meanwhile, the Kashmir Bar Association has termed the Justice Jan
commission's report as a "kitchen report".

In a statement, local bar association president Mian Qayoom said the
commission had commented on the character of the relatives of the victims
which was not included in the commission's terms of reference.

"It has not identified the culprits," he said.