[Reader-list] Aimee Bender on the End Of Marriage

Naeem Mohaiemen naeem.mohaiemen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 17:24:59 IST 2009

>From May through September
Aimee Bender

"Excuse me?" he said.
"Kite-making," I piped in, figuring we sounded flaky. "It's actually a
really good symbol for marriage -- grounded with the string, free-flying in
the air -- "
"Oh," he said, brow still furrowed. "Sorry. Just, where I grew up, a kite
was a derogatory term for a Jewish person."
I coughed. I wasn't sure I'd heard him right. "Wait," I said. "You think
we're going to have a kike-making table?"
I put down my fork. Tom stared at me, blankly. My fiance half-laughed.
"We mean kites," I said, emphatically. "With a 'T.' Like you fly in the
sky."
Tom shook his head clear, his face relaxing. "Sure," he said, running a hand
through his hair. "Oh, yes, my error. I'm sorry. Of course."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/02/AR2009070202178.html