[Reader-list] Savita bhabhi: why did Indian govt. ban her?

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 16:22:53 IST 2009

Sukanya,

Your argument here doesnt anything new but boils
down to this sentiment "take it or leave it". If the creators of Savita,
instead of advertising his site through all the major media organisations
would have stuck to traditional mode of reaching out to their readers, like
how roadside vendors do, then it would have made more sense. The salesman in
a train plying between Kanpur and Mughalsarai after selling 20 porn books
worth Rs 10 get Re 1 as commission for every book that he sells. Mind you, a
woman selling pornography is yet to happen in India. That would be the
first day of sexual revolution. I am not a part of the moral policing
brigade. Those were my personal views and I am still opposed to this
commodification of women or men as defined sex objects at the cost of
artistic expression. Moreover, it is the marginalised existence of
pornography or pornographic literature which makes it more accessible to
those who want to relieve themselves from repression.

On second thoughts, if i am permitted to imagine this way of advertising
pornography, with the kind of hypocrisy that exists in India about
expressing our own sexual desires, imaginary large sex shops showing Savita
as some kind of demi god where one can "enjoy" the feeling of being
seduced by their own imagination will have less number of people crowding
about the space. The reason: everybody wants to be a voyeur, to stay huddled
in a corner without being noticed and imagine their fantasies.

So Pornography is a sign of healthy society then Savita is the poster girl
for the Sexual revolution in India right? The greatest impediment against it
will be people's own hypocrisy. And it is not as if by allowing or not
allowing a porn site to function in the internet by the government, the goal
of the sexual revolution be achieved. I still can see mothers, aunties
getting scandalised when the condom campaign by NACO was aired on TV
channels. There are people arguing in this list for Baba Ramdev and
how homosexuality can be cured (which is ridiculous).

-Anupam