[Reader-list] UIDAI in Pranab Mukherjee's budget speech- 149

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 17 18:39:54 IST 2009

Dear All

The views presented below relates to the official position of the
Government of India, as expressed in the Budget speech of Jenab Pranab
Mukherjee, Minister of Finance, which was delivered on July 6, 2009 .

I have plucked relevant sections from the budget speech, which relates
to two broad themes- the idea of an identity card and the idea of
national security.

I have divided them as follows- first one refers to schemes where
biometric cards or national identity cards could play a crucial role.
The second refers to the kind of focus which the GOI is willing to
invest on what it construes as 'National Security'.  The third section
gives a broad picture of where the GOI will be spending the public
money. While the last section could be loosely termed as -rhetorical-
but nonetheless is very necessary to measure the goodness of intent of
our Government.

Warm regards

Taha

(Section-1)

Health

59.Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) was operationalised last
year.The initial response has been very good.More than 46 lakh BPL
families in eighteen States and UTs have been issued biometric smart
cards.This scheme empowers poor families by giving them freedom of
choice for using health care services from an extensive list of
hospitals including private hospitals. Government proposes to bring
all BPL families under this scheme. An amount of Rs.350 crore, marking
40% increase over the previous allocation, is being provided in
2009-10 Budget Estimates.

TOWARDS BUILDING ACCOUNTABLE INSTITUTIONS

Improving delivery of public services

64.The setting up of the Unique Identification Authority of India
(UIDAI) is a major step in improving governance with regard to
delivery of public services. This project is very close to my heart. I
am happy to note that this project also marks the beginning of an era
where the top private sector talent in India steps forward to take the
responsibility for implementing projects of vital national
importance.The UIDAI will set up an online data base with identity and
biometric details of Indian residents and provide enrolment and
verification services across the country. The first set of unique
identity numbers will be rolled out in 12 to 18 months. I have
proposed a provision of Rs.120 crore for this project.

(Section-2)

National Security

65.For modernisation of Police force in the States, an additional
amount of Rs.430 crore is being proposed, over and above the
provisions in the Interim Budget.The Government has also sanctioned
special risk/hardship allowances to the personnel of Para Military
Forces at par with Defence forces. Provisions for payment of these
allowances are also being proposed in the Budget.

66.For strengthening Border Management, an additional amount of
Rs.2,284 crore, over and above the provision in the Interim Budget, is
being provided for construction of fences, roads, flood-lights on the
international borders.

http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report_full-text-of-pranab-mukherjee-s-budget-speech-part-i_1271537-all

(Section-3)

74.The Budget Estimates 2009-10 provide for a total expenditure of
Rs.10,20,838 crore consisting of Rs.6,95,689 crore towards Non Plan
and Rs.3,25,149 crore towards Plan expenditure.

75. The increase in Non Plan expenditure is mainly on account of the
implementation of the Sixth Central Pay Commission recommendations,
increased food subsidy and higher interest payment arising out of the
larger fiscal deficit in 2008-09. Interest payments are estimated at
Rs.2,25,511 crore constituting about 36% of Non Plan revenue
expenditure in BE 2009-10. The total provision for subsidies are up
from Rs.71,431 crore in BE 2008-09 to Rs.1,11,276 crore in BE 2009-10.

The outlay on Defence has gone up from Rs.1,05,600 crore in BE 2008-09
to Rs.1,41,703 crore in BE 2009-10.

(Section-4)

Mahatma Gandhi said and I quote, "Democracy is the art and science of
mobilizing the entire physical, economic and spiritual resources of
various sections of the people in the service of the common good of
all." This is precisely what we will have to do. With strong hearts,
enlightened minds and willing hands, we will have to overcome all odds
and remove all obstacles to create a brave new India of our dreams.

http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report_full-text-of-pranab-mukherjee-s-budget-speech-part-ii_1271540