[Reader-list] Yesterdays news

sukanya ghosh skinnyghosh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 12:56:27 IST 2009

Women's groups yesterday circulated this letter in response to the front
page graphic of buddhadeb bhattacharya and his ministers. The telegraph
has responded with a hint of an apology today . . .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Editor

The Telegraph

Kolkata

Sir,

It is outrageous that The Telegraph, Kolkata's leading English
newspaper, should in the twenty-first century (July 18, 2009), decide to
equate inaction with femininity and women. In depicting in its front
page image this morning the Chief Minister of West Bengal and his
leading administrators, all men, wearing saris, the Telegraph has
betrayed its deeply entrenched patriarchal prejudices about women. We
would ask whether the equating of men with women is a compliment or an
insult. Clearly your paper thinks that it is an insult to men.

Like many of us in West Bengal, The Telegraph too is dismayed by
administrative apathy and inaction. However, reinforcing archaic gender
stereotypes in an attempt to discharge the watchdog duties of the Press
cannot be called responsible cutting-edge journalism.

To add insult to injury, your newspaper has appended an apology to women
who might feel that the elegance of the sari is wasted on these
administrators. To reduce the question of women's courage and efficiency
to a question of feminine elegance further betrays your newspaper's
retrograde gender politics. We are also deeply puzzled by the willful
offence it offers to half the reading, buying and working public.

We take strong objection to the demeaning representation of women, and
demand a front page apology from the Telegraph.

The article:   http://www.telegraphindia.com/archives/archive.html

The response: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1090719/jsp/frontpage/story_11255765.jsp