[Reader-list] Badlaav 2009 – Indian Youth Summit on Climate Change

Chintan chintangirishmodi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 01:32:43 IST 2009

From
http://yatinsethi.blogspot.com/2009/07/badlaav-2009-indian-youth-summit-on.html

Badlaav 2009: Be the Change! is a week-long climate camp to be held in the
nation’s capital, Delhi. We aim to have hundreds of young people come from
across the country to:
- Be trained on skills of organizing, running projects, lobbying, direct
action, presentations, and facilitation.
- Participate in eye opening discussions of equity, theories of change,
water, energy, agriculture etc.
- To enjoy concerts, cultural performances, film festivals, green jobs fair
and many other opportunities to have fun and learn!

When?
July 18th to July 24th

Who?
Being organised by Indian Youth Climate Network (IYCN) for you and hundreds
of youth from across India.

Where?
Lodhi Institutional Area, Delhi

Why?
Have you ever looked at the dirty dying rivers, floods, breathed in the
pollution, see people on the streets living with diseases and in poverty,
and just wondered – how can we change this? Do we wish to witness incidences
like Cyclone Aila in West Bangal more frequently? Are we ready to handle the
increased number of climate refugees? Our basic requirement like food and
shelter is at risk. Have you ever thought that our politicians are corrupt,
our businesses are corrupt, our system is corrupt and that it is too hard to
make a change? Have you ever thought why doesn’t anyone care about our
country, our planet, our future?
Think again.

At the end of this year in Copenhagen an international treaty will be
signed, committing the world to trying to stop dangerous climate change at
the UN climate negotiations. However a lot of the world holds little hope
that it will be a good treaty that will protect our future. The interest of
the Indian people and majority of the developing world are not being
listened to.

What do we do? Do we sit back and let the countries of the world sign away
our future stability?
No. We don’t. We take action.

Contact:

Anu Radha Verma - anuradha at iycn.in - +91 989 108 4960