[Reader-list] If you love the Himalayas, well too bad

Jeebesh jeebesh at sarai.net
Mon Jul 20 14:09:40 IST 2009

http://greatindiansale.blogspot.com/2009/07/if-you-love-himalayas-well-too-bad.html

Himalayas. Our last escape.
Every one of us runs to the hills to get a sense of life and reality.

Over the last few years haven’t we all noticed how the Himalayas are
being eaten away? There has been a rumble of construction in
ecologically fragile areas. There has been much too much garbage
strewn around hopelessly.

There has been dams which have come up without any environmental
clearance. And you didn’t know that perhaps, there are plans afoot to
build a massive ski village (which will use acrylic to make snow,
hurray!) that will host winter Olympics and some such. The grandson of
Mr. Ford is involved in that, no less.

The truth is, we can say goodbye to the Himalayas.

While we were busy “raiding da Himalayas”, they were busy being sold
off.

Forest fires were busily ‘degrading’ forests. Poachers were busy
ringing death knells in the night of god knows how many species.
So unless you want to go to the Himalayas and spend time in swanky
malls, there isn’t much hope left for you.

Before I forget. Some years back a Delhi girl landed up in Kasauli and
looked around and asked, incredulously, what…no McDonalds?
Here are a few links. Just remember, the news is all around you. Look
for it in places you don’t look for. We are sure, if you know what is
going on, maybe, maybe you will act.

Unless you are desperate for a Chicken Mc Nugget in the valley of
flowers.

Ps: before you see how we are destroying the Himalayas, here is a
little paragraph on how “environmental clearances” are being attained
for everything:

http://tehelka.com/story_main41.asp?filename=hub310109environment_clearence.asp

Are we destroying the Himalyas? Hydro-electric projects in Himalayas

http://www.thepeoplesvoice.org/cgi-bin/blogs/voices.php/2007/11/13/are_we_destroying_the_himalayas

Himalyan Ski Village in Himachal

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/ski-village-in-himachal.html

In Arunanchal 104 large hydroelectric projects of a cumulative
capacity of 55,556 MW coming up:
http://www.tehelka.com/story_main38.asp?filename=cr120408rumble_jungle.asp

Dam on Ganga riverbed govt announces pilot study

http://www.livemint.com/2008/11/12230236/Govt-announces-pilot-study-on.html?d=1

Happy reading.