[Reader-list] More on religious pluralism: devotional images outside Imambaras

Tasveer Ghar tasveerghar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 11:08:25 IST 2009

Dear friends
In the ongoing series of visual essays on the theme of “Kaleidoscopic
Sites and Sights: The Printed Visual Culture/s of Religious
Pluralism”, we at Tasveer Ghar present our next virtual gallery visual
essay:

Outside the Imambara: the Circulation of Devotional Images in Greater Lucknow
By Subah Dayal and Suzanne Schulz
http://tasveerghar.net/cmsdesk/essay/76/index.html

In this project, Subah and Suzanne situate popular practices related
to pilgrimage and public rituals in the context of coexisting Muslim
pilgrimage sites of greater Lucknow. This visual essay seeks to
provide documentary and descriptive detail from major Shi’i and Sufi
shrines in the Lucknow region (Hazrat Abbas, Agha Baqar, Khamman Pir
and Dewa Sharif) in an attempt to demonstrate the relationship between
the shrine and its souvenirs and to focus on shared uses and modes of
circulation of these images.

In the same series, our previous visual essay was:

Tiled Gods Appear on Mumbai's Streets
By Amit Madheshiya and Shirley Abraham
Pictures of gods and goddesses on the street walls stop you from
urinating in public spaces, and much more…
http://www.tasveerghar.net/cmsdesk/essay/51/index.html

You are welcome to visit these and other exciting visual essays on
India’s popular visual culture on Tasveer Ghar, and leave your
comments at the forms given at the end of each essay.

Thanks and enjoy the house of images

The Tasveer Ghar team

--

http://www.tasveerghar.net

(Kindly inform us if you don't wish to receive newsletters and updates
from Tasveer Ghar)