[Reader-list] Praful Patel calls upon young MBAs to play part in improving governance- 155

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 22 16:44:41 IST 2009

Dear All

That Indians like walk on their own is perhaps evidenced by the fact
that, first, they do not mind adopting a technological idea like a
national identity card which is rubbished even in countries like the
UK and second, even after the recent collapse of world financial
market which was led by these so called MBA's we have ministers like
Praful Patel, who BTW could not even run his ministry properly,
charming young MBA's to join UIDAI.

Why? We have seen how efficient they are on the world stage and do we
really want them to prove their efficiency now in India too. How are
MBA's trained to think in terms of governance? We have George Bush,
who was a Harvard MBA, as a leader of the free world for eight years,
and I think, all of us know now how much -free- we all are, thanks to
the efficient policies he pursued.

Regards

Taha

http://www.mbauniverse.com/campusinner.php?id=2224/Praful_Patel_calls_upon_young_MBAs_to_play_part_in_improving_governance

For years, governance remained closely associated with politicians,
their prodigious sons, and even lawyers. There were instances of
non-politicians joining the force, but the numbers remained
comparatively lesser. But now, a lot of young people, including MBA
degree holders, are joining the political force to help take
governance to the next level.

“I’m happy Indian government is witnessing change for the good. A lot
of young people are joining the government and are being elected too,”
Minister of Civil Aviation, Praful Patel, said while addressing a
national conference organized by All India Management Association
(AIMA) on ‘Promoting Excellence in Governance’ on July 21, 2009.

Addressing the gathering including eminent corporate world leaders,
seasoned politicos, faculty and students of top MBA schools in India,
the minister said, “Governance, though it is very complex, can be
improved if bright young people join the force.” The moment openness
and receptiveness comes into governance, it will change the way
governments function, Patel added.

Praising AIMA’s efforts to bring people representing the Indian
government, corporate leaders as well as participants from different
MBA schools under one roof, Patel said, “Over a period of time people
have been losing faith in the government. Earlier, serving the
government used to be something to pride about. But lately this
mindset has changed.” People, particularly the young India passing out
from India’s best MBA schools, engineering colleges and leading
universities, have been shying away from government services, he
lamented.

“This,” he said, “needs to be changed.” Patel emphasized on the fact
that the aspiration levels of Indians has gone through tremendous
change and said, “Earlier there was no pressure in governance, but now
it’s not the same. The pace of government has been put to test.” This
change can very well be gauged by looking at this year’s elections
which saw participation from a large number of MBA degrees holders,
some from top MBA schools of the world.

Eminent among those holding an MBA degree in the present political
system are Sachin Pilot and Jyotiraditya Scindia. Pilot holds MBA
degrees from IMT Ghaziabad as well as the Wharton School, U.S.A.
Jyotiraditya did his MBA from the leading US MBA School, Stanford
University and has also worked as an investment banker for Merrill
Lynch and Morgan Stanley. Although Rahul Gandhi doesn’t hold any MBA
degree, he worked with management guru Michael Porter’s Management
Consulting Firm, Monitor Group, for three years after graduation.
Entrepreneur and businessman, Nandan Nilekani, too, recently joined
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) as Chairman, after
resigning Infosys Technologies Ltd as co-chairman.

Patel expressed that people think politicians enjoy ultimate freedom,
but it’s not so. “I get a lot of brick-backs for my decisions, but I
take them up in good spirits and think what should be done to improve.
The Indian government is only about 60 years old and still has a long
way to go. It certainly has a lot of improvements to make, too, but I
feel people who are being governed should take equal responsibility.”
Patel emphasized that people like him can only be the drivers for
growth and vehicles for change in governance.

Taking the discussion forward, the Chairman of AIMA Centre for Public
Governance (CPG) K. Jairaj said, “The CPG has been dormant from some
time, but now we would like to take it forward. AIMA, through the CPG,
expects to facilitate a cross fertilization of good governance
practices across the Public and Private sectors.” The two-day AIMA
National Conference on Promoting Excellence in Governance, held in New
Delhi, was organized to discuss transparency, accountability and the
role of young leaders in better development outcomes.