[Reader-list] INDIA-ID CARD PROJECT- 161

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 24 17:36:41 IST 2009

http://rtv.rtrlondon.co.uk/2009-07-23/193e543b.html

4087-INDIA-ID CARD PROJECT

MOD-DATE: 07/23/09 10:57:36

SUBCON-JUL23-4087-INDIA-ID CARD PROJECT

SUBCON: STORY 4087

4087-INDIA-ID CARD PROJECT NEW DELHI, INDIA JULY 23, 2009 NATURAL WITH
HINDI AND ENGLISH SPEECH DURATION:02:31

SOURCE:ANI

INTRO:

HEADLINE: Chief of national ID cards authority assumes charge.

TV AND WEB RESTRICTIONS~**NONE**~

Nandan Nilekani, the newly designated Chairperson of Unique Identification
Authority of India (UIAI) takes charge as the project head.

SHOWS:

NEW DELHI, INDIA (JULY 23, 2009) (ANI-ACCESS ALL)

1. EXTERIOR OF THE YOJNA BHAVAN
2. NAME OF THE BUILDING READING 'YOJANA BHAVAN'
3. NAME ON THE WALL READING ' UID AUTHORITY OF INDIA'
4. NANDAN NILEKANI, CHAIRMAN OF UNIQUE IDENTIFICATION AUTHORITY OF INDIA
SPEAKING TO THE REPORTERS
5. NANDAN NILEKANI SPEAKING
6. REPORTERS AND CAMERAPERSONS
7. (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) NANDAN NILEKANI, CHAIRMAN, UNIQUE IDENTIFICATION
AUTHORITY OF INDIA (UIAI), SAYING:
   "We need around one month to design the details. We haven't yet
decided about how to accomplish it. But one thing is for sure that we would
distribute the numbers rather than cards. Our motive is to give only one
number� �one card to one individual and through our national authentication
system we will confirm that X person is X. (Q: How will the authentication
will be done?) It will take place through online network."
8. NANDAN NILEKANI LEAVING
9. DEPUTY CHAIRMAN OF PLANNING COMMISSION, MONTEK SINGH ALHUWALIA
10. (SOUNDBITE) (English) MONTEK SINGH AHLUWALIA, DEPUTY CHAIRMAN, PLANNING
COMMISSION, SAYING:
   "This is a basic infrastructure and he (Nilekani) is not focussed
on how that will help the programme. He knows that it will definitely help the
programme and the managers of the programme should actually use the platform.
The interesting thing is that he has promised that within a year to 18 months,
he will start issuing IDs. That will be an amazing development of
infrastructure of very high quality."
11. NANDAN NILEKANI SITTING
12. NILEKANI SITTING WITH THE REPORTERS

STORY: Nandan Nilekani who relinquished as the joint Chairman and Member of
the Board of India's IT major Infosys of which he is one of the co-founders,
took charge as the Chairman of the Unique Identification Database Authority of
India (UIDAI) at New Delhi on Thursday (July 23).

UIDAI is an innovative project of the Indian Government whereby every
bona-fide citizen will have respective identification.

Nilekani also met A. Raja, federal Minister of Communications and
Information Technology and sought his support for executing this massive
national identification project.

He told the reporters that they still need one more month to design the
details on the model of the IDs and his main motive will be to provide one
card to each Indian citizen.

"We need around one month to design the details. We haven't yet
decided about how to accomplish it. But one thing is for sure that we would
distribute the numbers rather than cards. Our motive is to give only one
number� �one card to one individual and through our national authentication
system we will confirm that X person is X. (Q: How will the authentication
will be done?) It will take place through online network," said Nandan
Nilekani, Chairman, Unique Identification Database Authority of India (UIDAI).

The 54-year-old IT ace also promised to issue the first set of unique ID
card within 12 to 18 months.

The Government of India appointed Nandan Nilekani as the Chairman of
National Authority for Unique Identity that will function under the Planning
Commission with cabinet status assigned to him.

Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission, Montek Singh Ahluwalia who was also
present on the occasion said that the identification cards would be a high
quality development of overall infrastructure.

"This is a basic infrastructure and he (Nilekani) is not focussed on
how that will help the programme. He knows that it will definitely help the
programme and the managers of the programme should actually use the platform.
The interesting thing is that he has promised that within a year to 18 months,
he will start issuing IDs. That will be an amazing development of
infrastructure of very high quality," said Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Deputy
Chairman, Planning Commission.

In January this year, the Government of India had notified the creation of
the National Authority of Unique Identity.

The ambitious plan of unique identification had been allocated rupees 100
crore (1 billion) in the interim budget of 2009-10.

The unique identification number aims at eliminating the need for multiple
identification mechanism prevalent across various government departments and
it will ensure that each Indian citizen will carry a permanent identifier from
birth to death.

RGDS,
NNNN