[Reader-list] Fwd: On Kashmir and Self Determination

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 19:30:54 IST 2009

Dear Rajen,

If we say miseries are heaped together so that one class of people can
remain in power, you have to understand what power means to those who
selectively pointing out one set of miseries as other channels of
negotiation have died down. One has to also understand that because one
careless action of a governing body, a whole lot of people become affected
thus this willingness to change everyone and everything around them.

Personally, i do not understand the discourses on evil or good. but simply
there are channels of peace. removal of armed forces would mean one is
creating that atmosphere of dialogue (between the genuine stake holders and
the authorities). For example, if government chose to deploy armed forces in
Mumbai after 26/11, it would have surely checked all the
infiltrations/loots/murders but then its not possible because people in
general would be suspicious about what authorities are doing in name of
security. it is for this very reason, armed forces were not deployed but a
more difficult, covert exercise of identifying suspects is going to check
the crime scene in the city. is that not possible in case of Kashmir? can
the local agencies which are more close to the people, acquainted with their
aspirations, behavioral pattern can take care of the menace of terrorism?
why does an army/BSF man have to invade the personal space of the people in
the name of the security?

-anupam