[Reader-list] India's ID project catches fancy of US lawmakers- 163

Rajendra Bhat Uppinangadi rajen786uppinangady at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 13:44:49 IST 2009

Dear all,

 and Taha,

 even when the starting point is incorrect, say the data bank of LPG users,
driving licences, BPL cards, I see the positive aspects of it, that these
datas can be corrected and the project carried forward, as we all know how
the fanatic illegal immigrents are encouraged to get the voters id, ration
cards and other id proofs to escape the scrutiny of law keepers and ofcourse
the human errors and human greed does not exempt anyone in making mstakes in
the process ?

As to expenditure, every native of India, a new born or about to die
individual, is already indebted to the world, thanks to the federal state,
to a sum varying from Rs.7000/- to Rs.11,000/- depending on the State you
live in,and central debt of Rs.41,000/- in the books of accounts of the
nation, whether one likes it or not,thanks to the system of government
borrowal. We have a system where the police and NSG is used to security of
"leaders", not citizens, we have funds, not for nation building but for
hiding in numbered accounts of honest politicians.!  We have distribution of
goodies not to those who need irrespective of any caste, faith or region,
but only if that individual belongs to a caste, tribe and faith, whether
that individual needs it or not.!

Regards,

Rajen.

Regards,

Rajen.

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 11:27 PM, Taha Mehmood
<2tahamehmood at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Dear Patrice, Dear Jeebesh and Dear All,
>
> The sense which I got from going throgh the views presented by Edward
> was- that the current capacity for material production of cards do not
> match the intended demand which would be created by UIDC.
>
> However I think, given that Edward does not cite any evidence or a
> definitive industry study which suggests that such a demand will not
> be met under any circumstances then could one not for a moment assume
> the opposite too? If it is just of matter of conjecture, that is.
>
>  Therefore might it not be so that in coming months, companies could
> be put up, logistics could be arranged, and manpower could be assigned
> to see to it that the demand or the intended or expected demand is met
> with? Could  Nandan Nilekani not say, a year later, that one year
> target was a political statement to test what political reaction to
> such a scheme would be, the real deadline was 'X+' years?
>
>  Could he not say that he was perhaps misquoted by the media. Could he
> not suggest the following- The objective was to give the numbers in a
> years time. That is the first priority. And then ascertain that all
> the 16 data categories for which the information will be collected is
> correct. And maybe then give the actual cards. This would be after,
> much, much later after the NPR is made into a viable, functioning,
> database.
>
>  The other argument was regarding SCOSTA, now whether it is an OS or
> not is a matter of what one perceives an OS to be, if certain sections
> of the the government of India feels that it needs to categorize
> SCOSTA as an OS then can they be taken to court for this
> categorization?
>
> I do agree, however that the point related to error in data entry,
> error in delivery, and error in verification of people is a cause for
> grave concern. It must be a cause for grave concern to all sections of
> society.
>
> @Jeebesh-
>
> Could you please elaborate on what you meant by -something- in your
> Thank you reply to Patrice?
>
> Warm regards
>
> Taha

Rajen.