[Reader-list] Unique ID numbers in 12-18 months - 169

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 27 16:30:39 IST 2009

http://www.hindu.com/2009/07/24/stories/2009072457830100.htm

Unique ID numbers in 12-18 months

Special Correspondent

NEW DELHI: High-profile Information Technology expert and Infosys
co-founder Nandan Nilekani on Thursday took charge as Chairman of the
newly created Unique Identification Authority of India (UIAI) and
promised to roll out the first set of unique identification numbers
within 12-18 months.

Speaking to the media at his office in Yojana Bhavan here, he said:
“In the next 12 to 18 months, we will be issuing the first set of
unique identification numbers …The Finance Minister [Pranab Mukherjee]
in his budget speech has said that the ID numbers would be issued in
12-18 months. We take that as [a] very strong direction and
commitment. So we intend to abide by that.”

Lest there be any ambiguity over the task entrusted to the UIAI, Mr.
Nilekani clarified that the Authority’s job would be not to issue
cards but only create a database of the identity of people. “We are
not going to be issuing cards. We are going to be issuing numbers. We
are going to issue a unique identification number for each person …Our
intention is to give everybody a unique number to each person ... We
will have to do it with some kind of biometric identification,” he
said.
Simple database

The Cabinet-ranked chief of the UIAI said these numbers would provide
an identity to citizens, help them in reaping the benefits of various
government schemes and also facilitate other activities such as
opening bank accounts and obtaining electricity connection.

“We will have a very simple database, which provides biometric and
demographic identity details like name, number, date of birth, very
basic things,” he said. Various government departments might use the
database for different purposes.

“So the people who are in the public distribution system will use the
number to authenticate whether an individual is eligible to get some
subsidies like kerosene or food or whatever.”

With an allocation of Rs. 120 crore for the current fiscal, Mr.
Nilekani noted that his first task would be to set up a team by
picking up the best talent available from the government as well as
the private sector to prepare the residents’ database.