[Reader-list] Israeli IT firms to bid for unique ID card project- 154

pankhuree dube pankhuree at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 27 22:21:48 IST 2009

Dear Taha,

I apologize for the delay in responding but I have been mulling over your question: "As things stand now, you tell me, what use could a data comprising of under-nourished, poor consumer would be, to the Tescos, the Tatas, and the Toyotas of the world?"

Maybe it is not that India's poor will be instantly transformed into consumers, maybe it is possible they will be consumed. I liked the piece you sent out some time ago where a middle-class Indian man is trying to order a pizza and the delivery boy manages to read off his entire life story by processing the ID number. Already, we know of poor Indians donating their kidneys to wealthy people over the internet. Perhaps the ID card will become a way of matching the services a poor person could willingly or unwillingly render with the highest bidder.

Naomi Klein and others have convincingly argued that in the future wars will be fought over resources such as access to water and that wealthy people will inhabit green zones which resemble airports and are barred to the outside. It occurs to me that these ID cards, with all their technical errors, may also be a way to keep Big Babu's eyes on the masses and keep the rabble in line.

Just some scary thoughts,

Pankhuree