[Reader-list] Fwd: Culture Cafe Series on New Media @ TISS

Shilpa Phadke phadkeshilpa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 09:40:31 IST 2009

Dear all,

You are cordially invited to participate in our Culture Cafe events for
this semester at TISS Main Campus!

Culture Café, Centre for Media and Cultural Studies Presents

*The New Media Series*

A set of provocative presentations and discussions

about our relationships with new media and technologies

Event I: July 31, 2009, 4-6 pm, Room 4

*Shilpa Gupta on her Work and Art*

Shilpa Gupta creates artwork using interactive video and objects,
photographs and performances to probe
and examine subversively themes such as desire, religion, notions of
security on the street and on the imagined border.
The artist will share her work. More on her work at
http://www.bodhiart.in/artists/shilpa_gupta/artists_shilpa_gupta.htm

Event II: August 7, 2009, 4-6 pm, Room 4

*On the fundamental right to read and write: An introduction to the
copyleft movement, by Dr. Nagarjuna G*.

Dr. Nagarjuna G. does research in the area of structure and dynamics
of knowledge at the knowledge lab of Homi Bhabha Centre for Science
Education, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai in India
(http://www.hbcse.tifr.res.in/). He is one of the several freedom
fighters promoting free software and free knowledge in India and
abroad, and currently the chairperson of the Free Software Foundation
of India (http://www.gnu.org.in/).

/Upcoming Events/

Event III: Aug 21, 2009, 4-7 pm, Room 4

*Nishant Shah, Centre for Internet and Society, Bangalore *

*on The Digital Avatar*

Event IV: Sept 11, 2009, 4-6 pm, Room 4

*Dr. Amit Rai, Florida State University*

*on Mobile Phone Cultures*