[Reader-list] Seeking Collaborators for Global Lives Project - 10th shoot - Kazakhstan

Chintan chintangirishmodi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 11:09:00 IST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rahul Chittella <riyaz.works at gmail.com>
Date: Jul 28, 2009 2:27 AM
Subject: Global Lives Project - 10th shoot - seeking collaborators
To: simonegoldsmith <simonegoldsmith at gmail.com>

Dear Friends,

I'm writing this email to you as a request to go through my friend and
colleague, Simone's letter to seek collaborators / crew members for the 10th
shoot of the Global Lives Project <http://www.globallives.org/>!!:)

The Global Lives Project (GLP) is a very interesting and innovative attempt
in knowing our world and neighbors more closely and in return realize the
diversity yet the similarities between ourselves and the rest of us sharing
spaces in this globe!:)

With the project, a crew needs to lock in on a local subject from one
geographical region of the world and film him/her for 24hours non-stop! 9
such shoots have already taken place in San Francisco, Brazil, Malawi,
China, Japan, Indonesia, Lebanon, Serbia and
India<http://www.flickr.com/photos/37215342@N06/sets/72157618282692573/>!!:)
This letter comes to you for the 10th shoot that Simone and team plans to
have at Kazakhstan!!:)
All the 240 hours of footage (from all the 10 shoots) would then form the
base for a video installation through which people can walk through and
watch for themselves the variance in the lives of 10 individuals from
various parts of the world and yet the similarities with all of us!:)

As a writer once said, *"you can be from wherever, as I am far
somewhere...as I know you and I are together here, forming this very moment
everywhere!"*

Pasted below is the email from Ms. Simone Goldsmith, the co-ordinator for
the 10th GLP Shoot -

*PS* - you could get in touch with Simone, for any queries at
simonegoldsmith at gmail.com

Global Lives South-Central Asia: Seeking collaborators

The Global Lives Project is planning a shoot in South-Central Asia for late
August/September 2009. We will be recording the life story and 24 hours in
the life of an as-yet-to-be-selected person from one of the following
countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Iran, Kazakhstan (most likely
Kazakhstan!), Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan,
Turkmenistan or Uzbekistan. The subject will be age 10 or younger and will
come from a religious community outside of the world's major
religions. See subject
selection page <http://globallives.org/community/subjectselection> for more
details on the proposed subject profile.

We are a nonprofit educational arts organization with more than 250
collaborators in 8 countries and we are looking for volunteers in
South-Central Asia to participate in the project. While participation will
not be remunerated, the project offers broad, worldwide exposure for
collaborators' work and the opportunity to be a part of a growing and
dynamic collective of creative and socially-minded filmmakers. We
specifically need the following types of people and organizations:

   - *Partner institutions* - We are looking to partner with a university's
   communications department, a museum, a video production studio, or any other
   cultural institution interested in being involved in the shoot from start to
   finish, and also with organizing an exhibition in the future.
   - *Co-director/producer* - Involved in subject selection process from the
   beginning, making preparations for shoot on the ground. Approximately 6-8
   days total of time commitment including preparations and shoot. Also
   involved in post-production.
   - *Camera operator* - Commitment for the day of the shoot only +
   transportation time. Works usually in 2-person teams for 8-hour shifts.
   - *Photographer *- Day of shoot only + transport, 8 or 12-hour shifts.
   - *Production assistant **(good position for a film student)* - Providing
   support throughout selection process to the director/producers with
   preparations for shoot. Commitment to assist with post-production also
   helpful.
   - *Interpreter/translator* - Needed for the day of the shoot as well as
   for pre- and post-production.

*Crew Members*

We already have three experienced Global Lives Project volunteers ready to
join with local collaborators to produce the shoot:

*Nobuhiro Awata*

Nobuhiro Awata is an experienced video producer and director, photographer
and audio technician. Born and raised in Japan, Nobuhiro lived in New York
City for five years and now is living in Taipei where he is studying for a
degree in Computer Science. Nobuhiro was a co-Producer of the Global Lives
Japan shoot in 2007 and a camera operator and still photographer for the
Global Lives China shoot in 2008.

*Chieko Kato*

Chieko Kato is from a small, traditional city called Takayama in the
mountains of Japan.  From a young age Chieko was eager to see the world, and
made it her mission to travel at every chance she gets.  In between extended
bouts of travel, she studied commercial photography and worked for 5 years
in New York as a freelance photographer, photographer's assistant, and photo
retoucher.  In 2007, she returned to Japan and has been working as a
freelance photographer, producer and interpreter for small video shoots, and
as a studio assistant. She participated in the Global Lives Japan shoot in
2007, as a still photographer and production assistant and again as a still
photographer on the Global Lives China shoot in 2008.

*Hes Mundt*

Hes has been a freelance cameraman for 19 years, working for Dutch National
TV and public stations like the VPRO, NPS. He has shot a number of
documentaries on political subjects and music. Hes was a cameraman on the
Global Lives Serbia shoot in 2009.

http://www.hesmundt.nl

http://current.com/items/88845093/idp_camp_in_naivasha_kenya.htm

*Local team members will also be asked to provide camera and sound
equipment.

To find out more, check out our website at http://globallives.org and send
an email to *Simone*. Emails will be understood easily if sent in English,
Russian, Spanish or French.

Guys, it's a really interesting project and trust me, you'll enjoy it to the
fullest besides getting to think deeper about the space that you live in!!:)

Feel free to get in touch with Simone / me for any further queries.

Please forward this to anybody who you think could add value to the
project!!:)

Cheers,

Rahul:)

**