[Reader-list] Fw: Whats Going on in Australia?

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 08:33:39 IST 2009

Dear Subhrodip (and all)

First of all really thanks for a quite good mail. This matter has a number
of issues related to it.

However, to begin with, one need not necessarily think of all such incidents
as cases of racism. It may be so that Indians may have been considered
vulnerable by a group of teenagers who indulge in high-cost activities like
drinking and drugs. (And from what I have read, Australians can drink for
long before becoming unconscious or uncontrolled on a general basis). And
therefore they may have been attacked, of course along with being showered
abuses on.

So the first fact is that it's not just racism which is promoting attacks.
Many Indian students on rediff and other sites are stating that the crimes
are being committed first for money. Of course, the fact that the Australian
police is not very helpful to the Indian students, the perception that
Indians coming as students may then reside as permanent residents and
finally the idea among some that looting Indians is very easy has certainly
combined to give some rowdy Australians the courage to attack Indians.

Secondly, while some rowdy teenagers may have indulged in such attacks, the
reaction of the Australian society at large must also be considered here. As
of now, I have not heard any section of the society (except the Legislature
and Executive members) who have condemned the attacks. I give the benefit of
the doubt to the Australians that their society has not been asked to
comment on this issue. After all, if in India we can go around asking for
views from citizens, why not from say Australia?

That is the larger point. Because first of all we need to find whether the
society at large supports such attacks or not. And also more importantly, we
also need to find whether Indians are acceptable in the society or not. And
if not, (not acceptable even among say a certain section of society), we
need to find reasons for the same. The issue can't simply be a declaration
by Australian police saying that 'we will provide adequate security to
Indians'. If tomorrow, a group of Australians start a movement saying that
'Indians go away!', and that too peacefully, what will we do, especially if
it's peaceful?

After all, violence only does not mean racism. Racism can even be seen in
speech and actions other than creating violence.

The reasons must be found out as whether being cultural or behavioral. Of
course both are in a way related. But then again there may be problems. For
example, in Tamil Nadu itself, even say 30 years back, if somebody spoke
Hindi, locals used to jeer or comment (if not attack). Today at least, that
is not the case. So social mindsets can also change, and one has to look at
this.

Third. Last but not the least, for all the above to be considered, the first
action has to be the safety of Indians. But this should be the first in a
series of steps. And I think it's necessary to get this done first. It seems
the Australian police is not helpful so this aspect has to be checked as
well. At the same time, one can't just say that this is an internal matter
of a state. Killing of any citizen is deplorable, so also attacks. One
should be ashamed of these things and condemn them. Howsoever much I hate
someone, I shouldn't indulge in violence against that someone. That is a
basic human right.

So in entirety, we have to stop attacks and look at sociological reasons
before coming to conclusions. And of course, India is also racist, for here
is practiced casteism which is equally worse when compared to racism.

Regards

Rakesh