[Reader-list] "The frozen solution"

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 19:55:33 IST 2009

Dear Kshamendra (and all)

The article is good, but my interpretations on the article, I would say, are
somewhat different from what yours are.

The article is a reflection of how diverse the views are in Islam, on issues
which are unaddressed in the Quran (either because those issues were never
thought about even though they existed, or because they never came into
being). And as I see it, the message is to Pakistanis (the article says
violence would be the outcome of overriding this diversity, particularly in
the Pakistani society which the article refers to as pluralistic). The
message can be to the rest Islamic world as well.

Hence, it's a caution, as I see it, to Muslims around the world not to fall
for the argument of the Al-Qaeda and the like about the 'golden age of
Islam'.

However, when you ask a Muslim to start thinking what true Islam is, it
indirectly assumes that he doesn't know what true Islam is. And I don't
think you, me or anybody else has the knowledge to pass this judgement upon
each and every Muslim that they don't know what true Islam is. As I see it,
there is no proof to state that they don't know what true Islam is.

Also, indirectly you are trying to put the blame of the action of a few on
the entire community, which is wrong. Just as the action of a few VHP goons
can't mean all the Hindus are bad, the action of a few Al Qaeda members
can't mean that all Muslims are bad. (or that they don't know what truly is
their religion)

The article just cautions the Muslims around the world not to fall for the
argument. You can caution the Muslims from falling to the danger of falling
to Al Qaeda.

At the same time, I won't say 'you have no business to tell them that'. My
straightforward answer to that would be 'don't equate Osama with all
Muslims'. (And you are doing that, even if you don't wish, through such
things)

If you wish to give the advice of learning true Islam, do give that to the
Al Qaeda of course. I am with you if that is what you wish. (Though how much
will that solve the matter is a different issue)

Regards

Rakesh