[Reader-list] ‘As Hindus, We Were Expected To Further The Cause With Our Stories’

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Jun 5 02:12:42 IST 2009

Dear all,

I find it surprising how any expression of difference with the
received wisdom of what exactly happened in Jammu during the days of
the Amarnath agitation last year must be treated with this kind of
callous and ad hominem attack. And since when do journalistic ethics
include an endorsement of covering up the reality of the reporter's
own experiences. I think the journalist in question has displayed a
rare courage in breaking ranks and talking about the reality of the
atmosphere of a news room as she saw it through a crisis situation. I
wish there were more, not less people like her, in every newspaper
and magazine.

Notice, that once again, no effort is made by those on this list who
are heaping abuse on Simple Pani to rebut the arguments or
observations made by her on their own merit. All that is done is a
blanket denial of any credibility simply on the grounds that a
different voice has made itself heard. And that voice is given the
distinction of treason. She is all the more dangerous because she is
not the notional other.  First we heard - from the partisans of the
Amarnath agitation - "no one knows what is going on in Jammu, because
none of the people criticising the Amarnath agitation are in Jammu".
Now, that we have heard from someone who was in Jammu in that
critical period, she must be discredited on specious grounds that
have nothing to do with what she has said.

A loud voice does not make for a sound argument.

best

Shuddha