[Reader-list] Fresh clashes rock Valley, mob targets Sikh locality

Pawan Durani pawan.durani at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 15:08:01 IST 2009

http://www.kashmirlive.com/story/Fresh-clashes-rock-Valley-mob-targets-Sikh-locality/471524.html

Fresh clashes rock Valley, mob targets Sikh locality

A predominantly Sikh neighbourhood on the outskirts of the city was
targeted by a mob as fresh protests.

A predominantly Sikh neighbourhood on the outskirts of the city was
targeted by a mob as fresh protests and a strike triggered by the
alleged rape and murder of two women in Shopian continued to cripple
life in large parts of the Valley for the fourth consecutive day.

A predominantly Sikh neighbourhood on the outskirts of the city was
targeted by a mob as fresh protests. Related StoriesFire destroys
forest along LoC, mines explode in Poonch J-K Govt to present annual
budget in Srinagar Women's death: Life remains paralysed in Kashmir
Valley Three LeT militants killed in Doda in J&K Youth's death
triggers fresh violence in valley, 35 hurt Srinagar A predominantly
Sikh neighbourhood on the outskirts of the city was targeted by a mob
as fresh protests and a strike triggered by the alleged rape and
murder of two women in Shopian continued to cripple life in large
parts of the Valley for the fourth consecutive day.
A group of people ransacked 20 houses at Rangreth, breaking window
panes and damaging other property on Wednesday evening. Paramjit Kaur,
whose house was among those targeted, said: “It happened around 7.45
pm on Wednesday when a group of people first started hurling stones.
They broke our gate and destroyed everything that came their way. I
along with my children hid in the attic to save ourselves from the
frenzied mob.”

“This had never happened in the past 20 years,” said Jaspal Singh, an
engineer whose house, too, was ransacked. A few cars were also damaged
by the mob.

Locals said trouble began when a group of protesters enforcing the
strike stopped a car being driven by a Sikh. They damaged the car
following which there was a scuffle, in which one of the protesters
was injured. This was followed by the violence at Rangreth.

The authorities reached the area to control the situation. “We held a
meeting with the Muslim and Sikh residents and later a peace march was
taken out by both of the communities,” said Budgam Deputy Commissioner
Mohammad Rafi. On Thursday, hundreds of Muslim women and men from
nearby areas thronged Rangreth and assured the Sikhs of their safety.

Meanwhile, fresh clashes between protesters and the police broke out
in Srinagar and Shopian districts after news spread about the death of
a protester. Nisar Ahmad, 25, who was injured during protests on
Monday, died at a hospital on Thursday morning. At least 42 people
were injured in the fresh clashes.

editor at expressindia.com