[Reader-list] News Items posted on the net on Multipurpose National Identity Cards-121

Rajendra Bhat Uppinangadi rajen786uppinangady at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 13:46:50 IST 2009

Dear All,

    now that system of governance with new combination of UPA has started
with good and enough false starts,Lalu Yadav being sidestepped, Sharad Yadav
threatening to commit suicide on issues of women reservation bill, the
President of india has broadly touched the policy matters to be persued by
this system of governance. basically, the elected representatives are policy
makers,  first elaborate the policies the system of governance would like to
persue, debate them with reference to ways and means of implementation, the
pros and cons of the implementation.

  At this stage it is imperative that every citizen takes interest in the
issue of the policy, the ways of implementaion and its reach and
consequences in society as it is in force when implementated. The efforts of
one of the members of the list, Mr. taha mehamood, is untiring, thankless
job , that he is at, but importance is not lost on conscious minds of the
readers. The reasons are manifold for this.

 Firstly, huge sums are being needed and used for implementation of MNIC or
agrarian subsidies etc. more importantly, MNIC needs all the care and
attention of the citizens of the nation, as once implemented, at every stage
of implementation, the citizen has right to inquire, research the benefits
and drawbacks of this action. But once it is implemented, recourse to
correct the anamalies thru judicial system will not only be time consuming
and also the enormous funds spent also prohibits even court to reconsider
the aspects without a sense of responsiblity to individual rights. The worst
example is the Narmada dam and Sarovar Project where thousands of crores
have been spent and activists who are now suddenly active for the last few
years about issues of miseries of submerged land owners' plight,
re-settlement of the citizens etc. after it is too late to do any
constructive work on these issues.

In the case of MNIC it is relevant that all citizens gave a thought to this
issue, made some efforts to understand and comprehend the issue more with
interest as to how it can be abused and make efforts to put in place
safeguards to avoid such avoidable pit falls. Laws are made, executed by the
executive arm of democracy, citizen can in theroy get redressal by the
judicial system of the demoracy, ofcourse at a very cost to his life and
security.With rampant corruption at every level in every section of society,
the laws are made more to be bent or broken than to serve the society, if
all citizens are aware of the pitfalls, such actions which take care of
individual rights can also be incorporated while the process of MNIC is made
relevant. Special thanks for the efforts of taha for his efforts to create
the awareness about the MNIC.

Regards,

  Rajen.

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Taha Mehmood <2tahamehmood at googlemail.com>wrote:

> http://www.ptinews.com/pti%5Cptisite.nsf/0/212A0AFBB5E86F17652575CA001EEA94?OpenDocument
>

> Govt serious on multi-purpose national ID: Qureshi
>

> H S Rao
> London, Jun 3 (PTI) Advocating a multi-purpose national identity card
> for Indians, Election Commissioner S Y Qureshi has said the Indian
> government was keen to introduce the concept to better manage citizen
> identity and national security issues.
>
> "We have been pressing the Government of India to have a National
> Identity Card. There is serious thinking to have a Single Multipurpose
> national Identity Cards," Qureshi said here at an interactive Session
> at the House of Commons.
>
> The idea of a Multipurpose National Identity Card (MNIC) was mooted by
> the Vajpayee-led NDA government in 2002, and later taken up by the UPA
> government.
>
> Aimed at addressing national security, the problem of illegal
> immigration and managing citizen identity, the project has been set in
> motion by the government which approved the setting up of a National
> Authority for Unique Identity under Planning Commission to oversee it.
>
> Delivering a lecture on the recent elections in India, Qureshi said
> while in the last elections 82 per cent of the 714 million voters were
> provided ID cards, in the next election 100 per cent voters would be
> covered.
>
> Asked why the election was a "too long-drawn affair" with polling
> spread over five phases lasting nearly a month, Qureshi said: "If we
> had enough security forces, we can hold the elections in one day." PTI

Rajen.