[Reader-list] News Items posted on the net on Multipurpose National Identity Cards-123

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 6 16:29:49 IST 2009

http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/details.asp?id=jun0609/at01

Take up influx issue with Bangla: Advani
Spl Correspondent
 NEW DELHI, June 5 – Expressing his disappointment at the exclusion of
the problem of illegal migration from Bangladesh in the Presidents’
Address, Opposition Leader, LK Advani today said, New Delhi must take
it up with Dhaka. “I am disappointed to see that there is no mention
in the Presidents’ Address of the problem of illegal Bangladeshi
immigrants in Assam and elsewhere in the country. India must take up
this issue with Bangladesh,” he said, participating in the discussion
on the Presidents’ Address in the Lok Sabha.

First, the Government must do what it has been asked by the Supreme
Court to do, he said.

The Opposition Leader also touched on the issue of Multi-purpose
National Identity Card, pointing out that the Presidents address,
talks about a Unique Identity Card for each citizen in three years. “I
would urge that it should not only be unique, but also multi-purpose.
I do not have to belabour this point. Today a citizen has a voter ID
card, ration card, driving license, PAN card. Why can’t we have a
single Multi-purpose National Identity Card?” he asked, supporting the
Presidents’ Address.

Regarding the foreign policy issues, Advani in a significant departure
from the past, refrained from delivering a hard-hitting speech, and
referred to neighbouring China. He said India should work for
normalisation of relations with China.

There should be no let-up in these efforts. However, it is of utmost
importance to ensure that India does not convey, even inadvertently,
the impression of bending over backwards to please China, he said.

Some recent reports about further Chinese assistance to Pakistan’s
nuclear programme are worrisome. China also continues to rake up the
Arunachal Pradesh issue, he mentioned.

The people of India expect the government to be firm in these matters,
the Opposition Leader said.