[Reader-list] "Separatist leader quits on Facebook" (Sajjad Lone of Kashmir)

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 7 17:27:11 IST 2009

Peerzada Ashiq, Hindustan Times

New Delhi, June 03, 2009

"Separatist leader quits on Facebook"

After witnessing divorces, marriages, link-ups and social campaigns, social networking website Facebook is providing space to fallen politicians too.

The site is being used to announce political sanyas (renunciation).

And the first one to announce his is the lone separatist leader from the Kashmir Valley who decided to make a U-turn on his 22 years of separatism to participate in the recently concluded Lok Sabha elections.

Sajjad Lone had sought to justify his decision by saying he would use the floor of Parliament to espouse “the Kashmir cause”. Separatists have always questioned the legitimacy of elections in Jammu and Kashmir and urged people to boycott them. But Lone, in a bold departure, chose to contest the polls.

He became the first high-profile separatist to do so but was defeated from Baramullah, ranking third.

Lone (42), son of slain separatist leader Abdul Ghani Lone, has now hinted at ending his political life in a reply to his wife Asma Lone’s Facebook message.

Asma, daughter of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Amanullah Khan, lives in Pakistan. The couple has not been able to meet for a long time now. Lone’s wife and two sons have been denied visas by Indian authorities.

“I wish everybody else understood the complexities of my situation as you (Asma) do. I will always feel passionately for Kashmiris. But I don't think I can espouse any cause any more,” writes Lone in reply to his wife’s emotional message.

An emotional and dejected Lone adds: “I think it is the end of the road for me. I want to spend time with you and with Emad and Adnan.” Emad and Adnan are Lone’s sons.

Since his defeat, Lone has not spoken to the media. He hasn't even met his close friends in Srinagar or commented on his poll debacle.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=HomePage&id=f24a4a7e-14fd-4aaa-bcbd-7c5483ff3188&Headline=Separatist+leader+quits+on+Facebook

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/Print.aspx?Id=f24a4a7e-14fd-4aaa-bcbd-7c5483ff3188