[Reader-list] Who will deliver justice to Pyare Lal Tickoo?

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 11:18:26 IST 2009

Dear Pawan ji

I am very sad after reading this story, and so would be anyone who has some
sense of humanity and sympathy in their nature. It is utterly disgusting
that the state, which criticizes others and takes action against others for
encroaching on its' land, has indulged in the same action and acted as a
'goonda'. This is very shameful and the govt. should apologize for this, so
also for the atrocities inflicted on Kashmiri citizens, Hindus in
particular, for the violence they had to face which ensured their forced
exodus in 1990. At the same time, the role of the then Governor, Mr.
Jagmohan should be thoroughly enquired into, and if he is found to be
responsible, he should also be punished and sent behind bars.

Equally speaking, I believe that we can't be the prisoners of the past. The
case of justice is certainly something the Pandits deserve, and proper
efforts should be made to get them resettled in their own land. At the same
time, I would be failing if I were to accept that atrocities were only
committed on the Pandits. There are Kashmiri Muslims as well who have
suffered badly thanks to the AFSPA and the army occupation. It's time this
is corrected.

The ultimate chance of a Kashmir solution can only come up when New Delhi
opens up discussion channels with all sections of the Kashmiri society, be
it Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or anyone else. At the same time, the people who
belong to this homeland, it should be restored back to them. Communal
elements in this society, belonging to any section, be it the Hurriyat, the
BJP, the PDP, the NC or the Congress or any other party or even a non-party
organization should be marginalized, and if they indulge in violence of any
kind, should be properly punished.

Also sections of the society should be allowed to talk to each other. I
don't say that Kashmiri Muslims or Pandits are all good; within a human
being itself there is a good or bad. What is important is to have
constructive atmosphere for having dialogue between people at ground level,
between different sections of the society and the central govt, as well as
between people on both sides of Kashmir. The last is a dream-kind of step,
but the first two are possible.

I feel the Kashmiri Pandits and the Kashmiri Muslims deserve an apology,
from the Govt. of India, from the then governor Jagmohan and from the JKLF
and other organizations which indulged in violence. More importantly, this
should not mean cases are taken back, for that is a call of self which I
think one should leave to the individuals. What is more important is that
justice is delivered, and Pandits are able to return back to their own land,
as well as the removal of the AFSPA and normal life back in the Kashmiri
heartland.

And for that, the first requirement is to accept that Kashmir is a dispute.
Will the govt. at least now accept that, or fool itself into the great power
it has in its own hands by stating that 'Kashmir is an integral part of
India' ?  We have not managed to win the people there in the last 20 years
or so, and all this election business and all is not going to help. And when
I say we have not won the people, it means both the Kashmiri Muslims and the
Kashmiri Pandits. We have failed them both. And if we still want to continue
on that path, I would end by this statement of George Santayana:

'Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it'

Regards

Rakesh