[Reader-list] Hindu article

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 15:15:50 IST 2009

Dear Rakesh,

My problems are not rooted in the idea of secularism be it western or
oriental. it is this modernist idea which only takes into consideration the
dominant discourses of our time to chose the path of the development leaving
aside the marginal outlook. whether secularisation is a by product of the
modernist propaganda or not is not my concern. even non-secular position,
for example: the saffron propaganda has modern elements attached to it. in
case of gujarat, the very idea of providing voters lists to the rioters
has shows that the state (here modi administration) used modern statistical
data (in many ways, stats in the west seen as a tool that further
the secular notions of the state) to subvert machinery for development for
creating mayhem against a certain class of people. later during the election
campaigns, modi kept on citing that he stands by 5.5 crore gujaratis (which
i am sure never includes the muslims). i think you read it otherwise or you
are confusing the secular notions of mr bipin with mine.

thanks anupam