[Reader-list] Army retreat from J&K will be suicidal

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 17:59:21 IST 2009

Dear all,

Presence of the armed forces in “troubled areas” is probably not the
solution for bringing peace to any region. Under the garb of security, state
governments receive funds. It is quite a well-known fact the state profits
from having an armed presence in the state, so that whenever the
administration wants it can flex its muscles and attack whomever it wants.

We have had several examples of such violations in which state governments
of these so-called troubled areas have taken the advantage of the “troubled
status” used it as means to quell actual dissent. Just imagine, having a
policemen right in front of your house all the time. It may give you a sense
of security from the possible incursions, but it also serves as signifier
for an occasional visitor that such and such area is troubled, therefore it
must be avoided.

Trade stops flourishing under the shadow of the gun even if the gun is meant
to protect its own people. For example: the case of Stillwell Road in Assam
and Arunachal border. For a long time, authorities, central and state wanted
to revive the trade route that flourished during the British and Ahom period
in Assam. Presence of a large number security agencies on that road has been
one of the reasons ascertained by several reports that locals do not want to
participate. They are so-called of the men with guns, be it militants or
policemen or army that they cannot differentiate between them.

Presence of a large number of paramilitary and military forces costs a lot
to the respective state governments. Funds that could have been either spent
on development are marked for the security forces. In some cases, for
example in Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council in Assam, politicians, militants
cause violence so that more security forces come to the district. This way,
more funds are marked towards the council for security purpose, which could
be easily rigged, the budget could be inflated to suit the demands of the
politicians and their nexus with the militants.

On the same lines, lives of the men falling prey to the guerrilla warfare
can be saved because our armed personnel cannot combat those who are a bunch
of cowards. Political solutions to such conflicts are more long term than
the security solution. Essentially, the security enhancement is not meant to
protect the interests of the people but the interest of the state
administration especially when it comes to trouble torn areas because in
such areas, after say 10 or 15 years of conflict, every body is out there to
save themselves from the conflict. It is in this point of time, a political
solution could be suggested. By bringing in democratic values among the
people, by encouraging debates at a grassroot level these conflicts can be
solved.

Terming the removal of AFSPA as suicidal serves the interest of those who
are not seeking a solution but who want temporary succour. This is a perfect
recipe of disaster. Reported acceptance by the home minister is a welcome
move. For the beleaguered Kashmiri Pandits, for trouble torn North Eastern
states and its tribes, for the migrants from Bangladeshis, for the
protesting women from Manipur, for displaced Chakmas in Arunachal Pradesh,
for the landless in Chattisgarh, for the families of the security personnel
who lost their lives, and mostly for this “troubled” regions, it is the time
to do away with that “conflict-prone” tag that has been foisted upon by the
successive (and oppressive) governments and militant outfits.

-Thanks Anupam